Dehumidifier or heat source tumble drier ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
one of my abiding thoughts in life is, nothing is right nor wrong, everything we do, even for the better, has a negative consequence somewhere...hopefully small compared to the positive.
So we now have a super efficient boiler...brilliant, but theres a negative,what used to be a nice warm boiler cupboard and airing cupboard, they're now actually not even remotely warm and we're struggling to dry clothes. Dont want to use the tumble drier but don't want damp clothes hanging round either.
So, heatsource tumble drier or dehumidifier ?
Anyone any experience of either ? I am erring toward the hs tumbledrier although it will be more expensive to buy initially.

Another consequence of the new boiler...its changed the feel of the house. We often wouldn't bother having the heating on at this time of the year but the background /waste heat from the boiler made a nice difference, took the cold edge off. New boiler, upstairs is noticeable cooler when the heating is off.

Anyway, dehumidifier or HS tumble drier, experiences, opinions ?

I'm looking into this right now. Energy ratings are A to A++ compared to E, F or G for condenser ones. We're using radiators, airers and a donated dehumidifier. The dehumidifier doesn't work very well in a larger room than it's designed for. We've put the clothes in many smaller room with it and whilst not impressive it has an effect when used with central heating.

I think dryer might be better.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dehumidifier. We use an airer, load it up, and pop a dehumidifier next to it blowing air over the washing, occasionally turning the washing. We can dry 2-3 loads this way. You do need a smaller room ideally, although we're managing find in the conservatory.

geocycle

Legendary Member
We have used a dehumidifier for years to dry clothes over the winter. Hang them on racks in a spare room with a radiator on. Ours is at least 15 years old but still pulls the water out of the air and into a reservoir of about 1-2 litres you have to empty occasionally. Costs seem less than a fridge. Not heard about the air source option But sound interesting.

JB052

We use a dehumidifier on the days its not practical to dry the washing outside, have been for many years. Not sure how much electricity it uses but it seems to take the water out fairly effectively.

figbat

Slippery scientist
We have a heat pump tumble drier. In fact we’re on our 2nd as the first failed in a way I couldn’t fix, which is the only downside of them (the fault was in the heat pump system, which is essentially a refrigeration circuit, so not user-serviceable).

When working they are really good - no need for an outside wall/window to vent the moist air but you do need to either empty the condenser tank every so often or, like us, pipe it to a waste outlet (ours sits next to the washing machine so uses the same waste). Drying times vary but are generally quicker than a typical hot air drier. We have kids and the whole family does various sporting endeavours so it gets a lot of use, supplemented by outdoors drying in the summer.

Like you said though, a bit spendy to buy.

Ours isn't efficient, doesn't seem to work well and the electricity and heating needed isn't very efficient. Just my opinion with what we've got.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've got a dehumidifier and a tumble dryer and would always use the tumble dryer to dry clothes. Its not a heatsource tumble dryer(whatever that is?) Its a condenser. You could always hang the washing out if its a dry day for a bit or wear clothes a bit longer if thats possible?
I got the dehumidifer to get rid of condensation and damp from a bedroom which it does. You really dont want wet clothes hanging about.

Sharky

Guru
Ours is a condenser dryer. Had a couple of cheap ones over the last 10 years or so and impressed by some of the technical advances, such as the auto sensors to switch them off when dry.

When looking for one, check where the water tank is. Some are at base level, ideal when stacked on top of another appliance, but not so good if the drier is positioned under the worktop.

We seem to need a new tumble dryer - old one is starting to become difficult to close and I have fixed it several times but it is getting worse

Getting a new one looks like about £230 or so whereas a Heat Pump version is around £500 - from what SWMBO has looked at

Getting the old one fixed would probably cost at leat £100 for parts and getting someone out to fix it that actually knows what they are doing

so it looks like we are getting a new one and putting the old one on Freecycle

Tenkaykev

Guru
We purchased a dehumidifier for our daughter from Screwfix ( the identical model from their sister company B+Q was about £50 dearer, always worth checking out Screwfix )
We then dug a little deeper and saw that Ebac have been making dehumidifiers ( and washing machines ) in the UK for many years. The blurb on their website is quite interesting, they say their models are better suited to the UK weather patterns. I suppose in the colder weather the heat generated by the unit is a bonus, and dryer air tends to feek warmer. There's a three year warranty if you purchase direct.

We seem to need a new tumble dryer - old one is starting to become difficult to close and I have fixed it several times but it is getting worse

Getting a new one looks like about £230 or so whereas a Heat Pump version is around £500 - from what SWMBO has looked at

Getting the old one fixed would probably cost at leat £100 for parts and getting someone out to fix it that actually knows what they are doing

so it looks like we are getting a new one and putting the old one on Freecycle

Currys have 3 heat pump dryers at £329 & 5 at less than £400. All energy rating A+ to A+++. Consider savings on £109 vs savings on electricity used. I've seen lifetime use figures of an A rated appliance can save £5000 over a B or C rated one over a typical m lifetime of such an appliance.

Top Bottom