Dehumidifier or heat source tumble drier ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We borrowed a dehumidifier when we had loads of nappies to dry but our friend let us keep hold of it. Now it pretty much only goes on when the heating's on anyway so the heat it produces doesn't go to waste.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You just need the Wattage and length of time to dry clothes
Correct. I just haven't checked either on either!

I know that the tumble dryer is much quicker but uses lots more power. If it uses (say) 4 times the power but takes 1/6 of the time then it wins, 5 times the power for 1/4 of the time then it loses.

The other factor though...
Now it pretty much only goes on when the heating's on anyway so the heat it produces doesn't go to waste.
... is that the dehumidifier is used in a part of the house where its heat output is useful, whereas the tumble dryer heat is wasted in my cold cellar (much of that heat probably warming up the foundations of the building rather than coming up into the house).

Washing line.
Yes - when we don't have perma-drizzle!

si_c

Guru
Dehumidifier. We use an airer, load it up, and pop a dehumidifier next to it blowing air over the washing, occasionally turning the washing. We can dry 2-3 loads this way. You do need a smaller room ideally, although we're managing find in the conservatory.

That's what we do, we have a dehumidifier from when we lived in the old house with no DG so was useful for removing condensation. Now we put it in the back bedroom with a heated airer and the door closed. Can dry 2 or more full washing loads a day comfortably and it doesn't hit the electricity too hard. Cost is about 25p per hour for the dehumidifier and 11-12p for the airer, so under 40p per hour. You've got to remember to turn them off though so they don't run longer than necessary.

An A++ rated tumble drier will cost between 75p and £1 per hour to run.

AlanW

Guru
After our car was stolen last September, I had to have a rethink about what was kept in the garage. Pre the car theft, the car was on the drive and the bench/bikes/tools etc were in the garage. I was fortunate to have a large wooden workshop in the garden so after a lot of sorting out, the steel bench the bikes and tools were subsequently relocated into the workshop and the new car is now safety tucked up in the garage every night.

However, what become apparent very quickly was the issue of damp and condensation in the workshop, which was confirmed when I put a digital humidity/thermometer in there for a few days and the shocking results it revealed. :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

After much research, and it turned out to be a right rabbit hole. but there are two different types of dehumidifiers, refrigerant (compressor) or desiccant and it all depends on the temperature of the location that you intend to use your unit as to which is the best for your application.

For my application which was primary always going to be at low temperatures, the desiccant type would be the most suitable. So, I ended up with one of these in the end - https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco-dd8l-zambezi-dehumidifier

To be honest, it is quite astonishing how much water is draws from the air in just a couple of hours! I have it set on the built-in timer to come on for a couple of hours first thing in the morning, but if you set a level humidity level on the unit that you want the room (or in my case the workshop) to be at and once that level is reached, the unit will cut out.

That said, on occasions we have moved the unit indoors to help dry the washing, as it does have a separate "dry washing" mode. Hang the washing up on a clothes drier, switch the unit on and shut the door. Return a couple of hours later, all done ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru
Drying clothes, heat loss and humidity are all issues which can be alleviated with MVHR system.

They're into the 90s% range for heat recovery.

So the energy used in creating heat is not lost, but redistributed throughout the building. Moisture is removed to keep humidity levels in check.

Very few buildings have MVHR, but it should be standard on all newbuilds.

I fitted it to a newbuild, it worked extremely well, keeping all rooms throughout the house within 1 °C and humidity spot.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Having done some homework and taken in what you all suggest....we're back where we started :laugh:
Talked to people with heated air driers, dehumidifiers and heat pump driers and you get such a range of views, for and against, you can't unpick which way to go.
Friends wife has a heated clothes horse, she manages fine but my wife's colleagues have suggested from their experiences they're just not very good.
Same with heat pump driers.
Same with dehumidifiers.
:laugh:
I think based on purchase and running cost...a heat pump drier is falling from our preference. Wife seems dead set against a heated clothes horse....I dunno, I'm just going to let her mull it over, but a dehumidifier seems most likely.

Getting fed up of clothes hanging round over the house, gotta do something but it seems my wife's preferences should probably, and rightly be favoured.
Thanks all.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Interesting thread , currently got two clothes horses up. 5 of us so washing is on all the time. The issue is I’ve restricted the heating , drying clothes was not an issue in the past but it is now. Tumble dryer has been banned from use. Dehumidifier might work ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Drying clothes, heat loss and humidity are all issues which can be alleviated with MVHR system.

They're into the 90s% range for heat recovery.

So the energy used in creating heat is not lost, but redistributed throughout the building. Moisture is removed to keep humidity levels in check.

Very few buildings have MVHR, but it should be standard on all newbuilds.

I fitted it to a newbuild, it worked extremely well, keeping all rooms throughout the house within 1 °C and humidity spot.

We've got MVHR but I think the problem with it is that the downstairs loo doesn't have a radiator, which means in winter it's extracting freezing cold air so there's no heat for the heat exchanger to exchange. So it's just blowing cold air into every room.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Interesting thread , currently got two clothes horses up. 5 of us so washing is on all the time. The issue is I’ve restricted the heating , drying clothes was not an issue in the past but it is now. Tumble dryer has been banned from use. Dehumidifier might work ?

It will. Its how we are drying 4 adults stuff.

It will be drying sons duvet today. Manages that well with duvet over clothes horse and dehumidifier below.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Providing you get the correct type of dehumidifier, it would definitely work. If you go for a high capacity one, trust me, you will be gob smacked how much water it draws out of the air in a relatively short amount of time!

link to one for example ?

Top Bottom