Dehumidifier recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirrel Chaser

I have a pro breeze and not been any trouble.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hello Mr Grumpy,
Our daughter was concerned with mould in her flat. I purchased a " Blyss " unit from Screwfix which worked ok ( B+Q which is a sister company to Screwfix sold the same model but £40 more expensive ) It worked ok, perhaps a little noisy from a bit of resonance but it did the job. When looking for one for ourselves, mainly for drying laundry, I discovered the EBAC brand. All of their products are manufactured in Co Durham. More expensive than the generic dehumidifiers but excellent quality with an excellent warranty and great customer service.
I'd heartily recommend them, especially the " Smart Control " version. We replaced our daughters " Blyss " with the Ebac and it is chalk and cheese with regards to quality and efficiency.
Our Daughter in Edinburgh has since purchased one of their washing machines and is really pleased with it.

https://www.ebac.com/dehumidifiers/range

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have this one for laundry. Helps that my wife works for the company (not B&Q) and we got a massive discount. Pretty quiet, and does a sterling job - it's on 24/7 drying washing usually.

https://www.diy.com/departments/von...CH00bXK-yuSxrAYQKKBoCNxEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We also have an old/battered Screwfix on in the garage that does a sterling job, but the buttons are a bit 'temperamental', so it's left 'on' - in damp weather it will fill in 12 hours.

We also had the smaller Vonhaus model, but MrsF killed it by letting salty wetsuits drip all over the top, wrecking the controls. The bigger one is much better for larger rooms.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd always say to anyone...and I've said this before, but do check the specifications before you buy. I've had a Prem-I-Air brand for the last 10 years, it's not that big but it's 650watts. It will dry a full clothes horse in 3-5 hours but I normally leave it on low overnight. I htink it was £130 10 years ago.

Compare that to: my partner's one (some chinese brand), has all the bells and whistles, blue LED lights, but is nothing short of a joke. She paid nearly £100 for it, but when I looked on the back it was a measly 150w. You can leave it on all day/night and the clothes are barely dry afterwards. It's nothing more than an expensive fan

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'd always say to anyone...and I've said this before, but do check the specifications before you buy. I've had a Prem-I-Air brand for the last 10 years, it's not that big but it's 650watts. It will dry a full clothes horse in 3-5 hours but I normally leave it on low overnight. I htink it was £130 10 years ago.

Compare that to: my partner's one (some chinese brand), has all the bells and whistles, blue LED lights, but is nothing short of a joke. She paid nearly £100 for it, but when I looked on the back it was a measly 150w. You can leave it on all day/night and the clothes are barely dry afterwards. It's nothing more than an expensive fan

Economy, innit - does the same thing eventually, but takes a shocking amount of time to do it!

IIRC even our dishwasher has a prog. that goes over 4 hours...

Tenkaykev

Guru
As our daughter is a bit paranoid about mould ( I couldn't see any! ) I bought a pack of HEPA filters for the Ebac. Their marketing blurb says that most dehumidifiers are made in China for the European market and a lot of Europe has a different climate to the UK which tends to be damper. The Ebac is supposed to be designed specifically for the UK climate. Of course they are in the business of selling a UK manufactured item so the costs are higher than imprting from China.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
At work I use an Ebac Powerdri- I like it, easy to keep clean, simple, dials on it instead of touchpad. Used to keep humidity down in laboratory areas- I've not tried it on laundry! (It is however yellow- so might not work in a home environment!)

At home I have something else- which I do use for laundry- but I've no idea what it is! Will check later.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
At home I have something else- which I do use for laundry- but I've no idea what it is! Will check later.

It's a Meaco ABC but not sure whether the 10 or 12l version- probably the larger one. So far it's been OK. Membrane buttons on the control panel. Does have a humidity indicator. More fiddly to clean than the one I have at work.

AlanW

Guru
I have the Meaco Zambezi, yes it's at the top end but it's a great unit with many functions.
Once at the preset humidity levels it goes onto standby, if the level increases it fires up again.
I have it in my workshop on the built in timer and lm staggered just how much water it collects in a 24 hour period!

AlanW

Guru
But which ever one you go for, be mindful that all dehumidifiers are not all the same. There are two types, condensing and desiccant and they function in different ways. So be sure to understand how they each work for the application you are buying it for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
If it's in a location with temperature falling below 10 you need a desiccant

Indoors only , really for drying laundry . That would be its main purpose ! Even then if I did use the garage ( just dawned on me for clothes drying ) , it’s attached to the house and not too cold .

Top Bottom