Driver - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We once got a little built in battery driver because it was cheap. It worked OK for a few flat pack projects but now we're resorting to manual to screw things in. Time for a cordless driver with more power. Any recommendations?

Budget isn't fixed but it's not a regular need as we're a family who does a project over a few weekends then that's enough for a long time! We get fed up and the rest becomes a few months before the next project. So purchase is better towards cheaper than top of the range,

As to battery systems. We have a few; black and decker, bosch and flymo I think. Not fixed on battery system yet but possibly time to. Will end up getting a cordless drill too at some point.

Anyway, can someone recommend what to get? Prefer to avoid aldi/Lidlington centre aisle options though.

dicko

Guru
I have a Black and Decker rechargeable drill 18v £39.99. The drill comes with a screwdriver bit flat and posidrive 10mm chuck max. Had it four or five years and I’m very happy with it, came from Argos do a fair bit of DIY used nearly every week. Has a ratchet so you don’t over tighten screws. I can recommend this drill (always bought B&D drills since 1969).

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I just use a Dewalt cordless drill. Bought it for £150 with a couple of 4 MAH batteries and been using it for years. Originally bought a Makita as people at work reckoned they were great. The keyless chuck never worked as well as the Dewalt, then a case hinge broke on the second time using it. So took it back to Screwfix and exchanged it for a Dewalt. The Tsak cases with Dewalt are better quality than the Makita one. Sure you could buy cheaper, or a standalone impact driver. But if your not planning on using it that often, possibly not worth bothering with.

Dewalt Drill & Batteries

Bosch have their “one for all“ battery system which fits drill/driver, hedge trimmer, strimmer etc so you can then use one charger and battery for a number of things. I believe also compatible with certain other makes

OldShep

Über Member
Definitely time to buy into a battery system. I bought into Einhell X system. One battery now running vacuum, reciprocating saw, impact driver.
Not needed a driver yet as a 15 yo battery Bosch is still going strong

Jameshow

Veteran
I just use a Dewalt cordless drill. Bought it for £150 with a couple of 4 MAH batteries and been using it for years. Originally bought a Makita as people at work reckoned they were great. The keyless chuck never worked as well as the Dewalt, then a case hinge broke on the second time using it. So took it back to Screwfix and exchanged it for a Dewalt. The Tsak cases with Dewalt are better quality than the Makita one. Sure you could buy cheaper, or a standalone impact driver. But if your not planning on using it that often, possibly not worth bothering with.

Dewalt Drill & Batteries

Same here DeWalt for work the cheapest one. They have been abused by all and sundry clients no issues.

Also have Stanley fatmax myself which are copies tbh but better equipped with steel chucks and magnets to hold screws/bits

Velochris

Über Member
Personally I would go DeWalt or Makita as these are the two most popular mid level brands, which will open up options in the future for other tools. Initial cost to get something with charger a d battery will be high. I find the 15 or 20% off deals that come in eBay quite often lower the cost below anything else if search wisely. Once you get a couple of batteries though you then have lots of options of buying other "bare" tools. Without batteries they don't cost that much.

Don't think there is anything between the quality if the two. They both do entry level and pro level stuff. As above, the storage cases for DeWalt are better.

Driver wise I have a DCF887. Unlike most drivers it has three torque settings, the lowest being quite low. I would not use a driver on flat pack, but having something with varying torque levels is quite useful.

That said, before the DeWalt I had the Aldi one. It was excellent. Only got rid for the variable DeWalt settings and a few other DeWalt purchases meant I could justify keeping to one system.

For flat pack I use this. Had it 15 years or so and originally bought for lacing spokes in wheel builds. Low torque, but I like that as I prefer to do the final tightening by hand with flat pack fixtures.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Bosch-IXO-...s0DZCpFqFhIITXD5wGAaAtBTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
If it's just for flatpack furniture assembly mrs667 swears by the little Ikea Fixa. Comes in a kit with various bits. £13. How do they do it?

I have a Milwaukee 18v impact driver which is excellent but that's £160 for the driver and batteries!

I also have a little black and decker, which is OK but not one thing or another - too weedy for most drilling, rather heavy for assembling furniture.

If you can possibly avoid rechargeable tools you get much better tools for less money. I have always generally bought the cheapest and then found if that was no good bought expensive. It works pretty well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I've heard that some popular battery systems can be used with rival systems via an adaptor. Can't remember the details but read it on some forum where they were discussing power tools.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a Hitachi 9.6 volt cordless drill/driver for years and years. It saw a lot of (sometimes messy) action. I had to replace it because their batteries eventually became overtaken by technology. Now I have a five year old Ryobi drill/driver. It's excellent and the batteries can run the whole range of their tools. For masonry drilling, I use a corded SDS hammer drill by Bosch. None of the stuff was cheap but, for me, it made sense to spend the money because it was for earning a living.
My guess is that a cordless drill/driver is a better match for your needs than just a cordless driver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom