Your recommendations for Steam Irons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
It's that time (yet again). The Morphy Richards iron I bought is finally kaput having nearly lasted 2 years (the steam trigger semi-broke after 1 year and they refused a warranty replacement because I hadn't filled in a card within 30 days of purchase). The trigger has now snapped completely. Tried taking it to bits but it's glued up tighter than a very gluey thing. It will be repurposed by my daughter as a textiles iron so she doesn't need to worry about melting stuff onto the actual iron we use for clothing.

Has anyone found a brand of Iron that actually works well and isn't practically disposable?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have a Russell Hobbs, model number 24830. It's got continuous steam so no need to press the steam button but I do occasionally steam over a trouser before I put the iron on it. It's lasted me 3 years so far and shows no signs of failing. Everything is well made and feels strong. I ensure to empty the water after every use so as nothing builds up inside like my old one did. The ceramic coating is good, i just iron a lot of school trousers which won't iron on a lower setting, so I have burnt anti-crease coating on mine?

Sharky

Guru
We replaced ours recently after the old one died after many years. One of the features, which is probably standard now on all irons, is the auto switch off if not moved for a while.

Don't have to worry now, if I've haven't switched it off.

mustang1

Guru
Had a Tefal for at least 6 years. Cannot recall what stopped working on it but got a new one this year (I've already forgotten the brand). Wanted another Tefal but was out of stock.

What I liked about the old one was the cord had a much better wrap-around thingie. It also had a heat shield which you could put on after ironing which prevents the iron heating anything if it gets knocked over.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get one with a remote water tank. Now quite cheap from Beko et al. Massively more convenient & effective, come with integral soft water filters.

We had one for a while, but found it bulky - the iron itself was lovely and light though. We're back on a Russel Hobs Supreme Steam Ultra - what ever that means, but it's good at blasting steam out the bottom for stubborn creases (not that I iron much).

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We had one for a while, but found it bulky - the iron itself was lovely and light though. We're back on a Russel Hobs Supreme Steam Ultra - what ever that means, but it's good at blasting steam out the bottom for stubborn creases (not that I iron much).

We've got plenty room so it's less of an issue, but in storage it's only a little bit bigger than a regular iron lying down, iyswim. It's be hard to go back, now we've sampled one.

Top Bottom