Dehumidifiers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I found using a dehumidifier to be very expensive, and it didn't do much for the problem of damp we had in the room.
If it's just condensation on windows, and you've made sure your room is well ventilated enough, try using the little sachets of silica gel you get in bags or helmets when you buy them. You can also buy an incar "bag" full of the stuff for about a tenner in halfords. They do actually work and absorb a lot of moisture.

Do you know why when placed in a car or caravan etc they absorb a lot of water? They are trying to dry out the earth atmosphere, total con in my humble.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I am considering buying two of those extractors that recess into the upstairs ceiling (one for the landing and one for the bathroom) and suck moisture out of the house, into the attic.
and then through a vent in the roof unless you want damp in the attic...

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I should just mention, as discussed on a previous thread with @MikeG , how much I'm enjoying the heat recovery ventilation system in the new house. Fantastic bit of kit.

I'm aware it may not be a practical solution for those in rented housing...

screenman

Legendary Member
When we had this problem many years ago in a different house I just placed a fan in the room with the door open, circulated the air and did the trick.

MikeG

Guru
I should just mention, as discussed on a previous thread with @MikeG , how much I'm enjoying the heat recovery ventilation system in the new house. Fantastic bit of kit......

That's the end of condensation, right there. Hop out of a steaming hot shower in the middle of January with ice outside, and shave in the mirror without wiping it down first.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Strange thing with modern standards. In the olden days windows were somewhat draughty. Then we had more or less sealed uo windows which were less draughty. This resulted in damp so you then had to have "trickle ventilation" in windows. I've even read of new houses with electrically operated ventillation to counteract the too-sealed-upness of the windows. WTAF is the sense of that ?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
?
if you don't vent it out of the house, why wouldn't you get damp in the attic?
The bold bit in the quote was my addition, I should have made that clear...
*goes back to edit*

Sorry, Mistook that bit

The attic should already be vented (assuming it hasn't been converted) otherwise damp in the attic would be a problem anyway, without the addition of any extraction unit.

Anyhoo, ignore my blunt attempts at a sharper explaination - see here

http://www.envirovent.com/home-vent...-mould-solutions/mr-venty-eco-sub-2-sub-loft/

* Other products from other companies are available

Threevok

Strange thing with modern standards. In the olden days windows were somewhat draughty. Then we had more or less sealed uo windows which were less draughty. This resulted in damp so you then had to have "trickle ventilation" in windows. I've even read of new houses with electrically operated ventillation to counteract the too-sealed-upness of the windows. WTAF is the sense of that ?

That's exact;ly my problem. Since having the windows and loft insulation tripled, plus the amount of people and pets trippled too - the house is too "airtight" to cope

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sorry, Mistook that bit

The attic should already be vented (assuming it hasn't been converted) otherwise damp in the attic would be a problem anyway, without the addition of any extraction unit.

Anyhoo, ignore my blunt attempts at a sharper explaination - see here

http://www.envirovent.com/home-vent...-mould-solutions/mr-venty-eco-sub-2-sub-loft/

* Other products from other companies are available
That's interesting, I've not seen one of those before.
I was thinking of lofts in my current and last houses where, although they were ventilated, the addition of a bathroom-full of steam via an extractor fan would have caused some damp. In both cases the extractor fan was vented to the outside through a tube (like a tumble dryer hose) to a vent thingy set into the roof tiles.
The thing you're thinking of is much more sophisticated.

Threevok

That's interesting, I've not seen one of those before.
I was thinking of lofts in my current and last houses where, although they were ventilated, the addition of a bathroom-full of steam via an extractor fan would have caused some damp. In both cases the extractor fan was vented to the outside through a tube (like a tumble dryer hose) to a vent thingy set into the roof tiles.
The thing you're thinking of is much more sophisticated.

They also do a models with in/out breather tubes too, for properties with small (or lack of) a roof space

As I said though,they are not cheap

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A humidistat fan in the bathroom would help.
Not sure if that is what we have, some kind of fan/heat exchanger that comes on when the humidity rises (after a shower) and then turns itself off automatically. When it's cold and damp outside it can sometimes stay on for quite a long time.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
There is no sense , its a backlash from the European legislation to make new buildings and houses more efficient without thinking about older properties . When it was realized that sealing up the older buildings would lead to problems they decided to introduce trickle vents as a must . So seal it up then drill a big hole in it . Another example of the office running the show :rolleyes:

Top Bottom