Dehumidifiers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Brick up the window, problem solved. next!
Oh yes! Now why didn't I think of that(?!):scratch: :rolleyes:

My bathroom has an opening window and had a ventaxia type fan in the wall right beside the window. The bathroom is at the back of the house which is exposed to the prevailing weather. The wind blew the opening and closing fins off the vent and caused the fan to be continually blown into motion. Rain was also driven in and ran down the cavity causing problems in other rooms so I removed the fan and bricked up the hole.
I now just open the window. In order to limit the moisture in the bathroom I squeegee (cost £1) inside the shower cabinet and wipe it dry. This seems to work ok.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You've completely and utterly missed the point. There is continual airflow. The ventilation system turns the air over at a strictly controlled rate (not dependent on wind speed and direction). The atmosphere in such a building stays at a much more uniform level of humidity than in a naturally ventilated one. There is a continuous, even, and well distributed supply of fresh air. There is never excess moisture in the air. There is no necessity for hygroscopic materials to absorb excess humidity as in a normally ventilated ancient building. The sole plates in my house are utterly safe (so long as no cretin replaces the lime render with sand & cement). It's just that instead of air leaking into the building uncontrollably around windows and doors, it comes in through a pipe, and is then warmed by the heat extracted from the waste air, which is being extracted through a pipe.
Do you have a link to the perfect conditions machine ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Do you have a link to the perfect conditions machine ?
This is the link to ours.
20171126_122846.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
This is the link to ours.
View attachment 384772
In all seriousness, it's one of these:

http://www.itho.co.uk/?page_id=36

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This heat exchanger thing. Presumably / obviously the amount of air coming in equals are going out, so the best you can manage is to spilt the difference temperature wise between outside and inside air. So 20C inside and maybe 0 outside, so the best you can ever hope for with a 100% perfect heat exchanger is something is warming the air to 10C. In reality, how much warming are you gonna get 3, 5 maybe. I would need a lot of convincing of some of the savings claimed. Good insullation, yesbof course, reduce draught within reason, yes, but I dunno about some of this more complex stuff. Sounds a bit too clever by half to be honest. That said my 1860 house could do with being a bit warmer and cheaper to heat !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just checked the name of the thing we installed in the bathroom, as one of those names looked familiar... and ours is a Vent Axia.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I might have to get a dehumidifier next autumn/winter. 🤔 I spent well over an hour yesterday wiping black mould off the west facing wall of my flat and off the stuff near to the wall. I say west facing as we seem to get most of our wind blown rain from the west, not the east. That wall takes some hammer in the wetter months! Not only damp from the outside but also from inside as the window on the wall isn't an opening one, so condensation can't escape in that part of my flat. The job had its pluses though as I managed to bin many damp attracting, dust attracting, cobweb attracting items that'd been there for years, totally unused.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Do your research first. I've had a dehumidifier for 10 years, it is excellent. I dry my clothes with it and also use it for the garage when it used to flood (flooding problem sorted now). Think it was £130 back then. It says 650 watts on the back, so that's about 16p/hour to run for me.

However, my partner bought one last year with bells and whistles on (and blue flashy lights). Hers is complete garbage. It is little more than just a fan. Takes 24 hours to dry clothes sometimes. I checked out the back of it and it states 150watts. Maybe that's why. In contrast, mine dries a full drying rack of clothes in about 5 hours. The room is then dry as a bone. The natural heat given off by the motor helps heat the room as well....a fortunate by product in the winter.

Like anything these days, there are loads of Chinese made units out there that look the part but are next to useless.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Do your research first. I've had a dehumidifier for 10 years, it is excellent. I dry my clothes with it and also use it for the garage when it used to flood (flooding problem sorted now). Think it was £130 back then. It says 650 watts on the back, so that's about 16p/hour to run for me.

However, my partner bought one last year with bells and whistles on (and blue flashy lights). Hers is complete garbage. It is little more than just a fan. Takes 24 hours to dry clothes sometimes. I checked out the back of it and it states 150watts. Maybe that's why. In contrast, mine dries a full drying rack of clothes in about 5 hours. The room is then dry as a bone. The natural heat given off by the motor helps heat the room as well....a fortunate by product in the winter.

Like anything these days, there are loads of Chinese made units out there that look the part but are next to useless.

My daughter used a dehumidifier that I bought for her from Screwfix. It did a decent job. A few months ago I was thinking of getting one for myself, and doing a bit more research discovered Ebac. Made in the UK and tailored for our weather conditions. It's night and day in quality and performance.

Top Bottom