DELETED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Road/MTB/hybrid/other? Alloy or carbon rim? Sram/Shimano or Campag or something else?

Possibly check out Clarks.

chris-suffolk

Given that Koolstop are about £10 a pair, and the Fibrax are £5.50, we're talking a saving of £4.50. Are you looking to save this because the Fibrax give a faster wear on the rim, which you can live with because the rims are cheap(er) (though a rim would buy lots of the more expensive block by the time you factor in build costs etc), or is the braking as good with the Fibrax (in which case why not use them everywhere)?

Need to know a little more behind the decision making please.

Brakes are what stop you having accicents, so don't compromise for the sake of (at the end of the day) pennies.

I'd stick with Fibrax.
I have a load of their V brake pads bought cheap some time ago.
Seem fine to me.
Use good rims/keep clean.

(last time I checked Temple Cycles used Fibrax - and I think used to wax lyrical about the ladies who made them)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Depends on how you define "good".
Disco brakes pads are "good value" especially if you buy one of their packs of 4 pairs, and the braking performance is excellent.
If you are a low mileage rider, I would happily recommend.

But put some serious mileage in and they will eat your rims. I ruined a pair of Archetype rims @ £50 a pop in just a year (around 3000 miles) so you can see that inexpensive brake blocks may not reflect the whole of your cost balance....

Ajax Bay

Guru
Some things are worth paying a premium for: brake blocks are at the top of my list.
For a pair of blocks that's about a pint of beer for several 1000km.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I spent £18 on a set of Koolstop Salmons about fifteen years ago. An utter waste of money and they wore out quickly. I've been entirely happy using Clarks' blocks ever since.

Pick up your pitchforks if you must.

As far as I know I've never owned any koolstop products so can't give any opinion on those. I've had a selection of other brands including Clarks, Fibrax and many Chinese products under different brands. I find the generic Chinese pads vary a lot with some low cost brakes being good and others terrible. Generally I have to go with the reviews if an online site to make an informed choice. I also improved my braking habit. I think I used to brake with one lever only in the past but now pretty much always use both brake levers simultaneously to reduce brake pad wear and share the braking load. That in itself massively reduces brake pad wear.

If you have a ebike with regen then you can reduce brake pad wear rates down to very low levels so if you have a ebike with a direct drive hub motor always worth considering modding to regen if possible, not only will it increase the range slightly but can save a lot of money on brake pads. Also by enabling regen as you go down hills it makes it safer and last longer as well as giving your free energy for your battery.

I'll give Fibrax another try, they seemed good last time I had them. Apparently, Fibrax make OEM brake pads for quite a few companies to rebrand.

Fibrax quote:
"Our method produces a much denser brake pad than our competition, which ultimately lasts longer. In the wet, on the road, nobody comes close to us. In the dry, I credit only SwissStop as having an offering comparable on performance."

https://cyclingindustry.news/fibrax-why-cheap-components-can-be-among-the-most-important-for-an-oem/
another Fibrax fan here - I have big stocks of them.
Love the bit in that article where they say that the aesthetics of their pads take second place to function.
As for "issues" I just check the pads and rims pretty frequently, clean as needed.

Top Bottom