Deliberate Bad Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
For the second time only I have reported some bad driving to the Police. In my opinion, this driver deliberately and maliciously tried to force me into the kerb.:angry:

Agree. There was absolutely no need for them to take that line.

Was that the brakes squealing or a Magnatom tribute yelp?

Imo I don't think that was malicious but definitely dozy and arrogant.

I reckon he saw you half way as he was pulling out and then thought, "meh, it's only a cyclist, i'm faster than him and he should stop for me anyway."

adscrim

Veteran
What's more worrying is that they probably think they left you loads of room. You're only on a bike after all, the widest parts are the tyres, right?

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Imo I don't think that was malicious but definitely dozy and arrogant.

I reckon he saw you half way as he was pulling out and then thought, "meh, it's only a cyclist, i'm faster than him and he should stop for me anyway."

No he definitely saw me before he decided to pull out, as I could see him thinking about what to do. Because I left the house in murky conditions my lights are on, all four off them, two of them Magicshine's, plus I am in a hi viz jacket.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Also misjudged your speed, definately a due care and attention job...malicious, no way would that get through CPS!....this has happened to me more than once, even in uniform. Espeacially dangerous if I'm on a blue light run (without blue lights due to the constabulary refusing to supply them)...All good fun!

Bad driving yes, but I don’t think it was on purpose – I see driving like that all day every day – s/he probably thought you had loads of room or were going so slowly that they would make it before you got ther – just very poor awareness and judgement/ very slow reaction time by the driver and a good example of why cyclists need to be alert and assume that every other person on the road is an idiot…which a sizeable minority are!

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Also misjudged your speed, definately a due care and attention job...malicious, no way would that get through CPS!....this has happened to me more than once, even in uniform. Espeacially dangerous if I'm on a blue light run (without blue lights due to the constabulary refusing to supply them)...All good fun!

All I can expect from our local Police is that I will become another statistic, no chance of them going any further with it as no collision occurred because I avoided it. I reported it as I felt I needed to do something other than slash his tyres, which I cannot do now the Police have my name and address.
I have seen the same thing happen to a Police car on an emergency call with lights on sirens blaring, there is no hope for some drivers.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Bad driving yes, but I don’t think it was on purpose – I see driving like that all day every day – s/he probably thought you had loads of room or were going so slowly that they would make it before you got ther – just very poor awareness and judgement/ very slow reaction time by the driver and a good example of why cyclists need to be alert and assume that every other person on the road is an idiot…which a sizeable minority are!

The reason I think it was on purpose is that as he is pulling out he is looking straight at me, I see his head moving following my position. When he is along side me he is also looking straight at me and I am looking straight at him, just before he moves to the left.

The reason I think it was on purpose is that as he is pulling out he is looking straight at me, I see his head moving following my position. When he is along side me he is also looking straight at me and I am looking straight at him, just before he moves to the left.

Fair enough - at the end of the day you were there and I wasn't!
Glad you're ok

Crankarm

Guru
Yeah I think that was definitely deliberate as 15 secs in you can see he cuts you off having intially pulled out you think he will at least remain further out giving you space, but no the cretin pulls toward the nearside right into your path. If the car had started to pull out on me he would firstly have got a very loud "Oi!!!" If he still continued to drive at me, like this one did to you, his car would have got a slap to avoid him knocking me down. I think in your instance he was lucky your handle bars didn't make contact with the side of his car leaving quite a scratch .................

Did you shout, and I mean really shout, a warning at him so he couldn't possibly have NOT heard and therefore seen you???? Perhaps time to invest in an Airzound?

The small green van which passed you at the start was pretty close as well.

You don't look behind you much ..................

Drivers in Swindon nearly hate cyclists just as much as those in St.Ives (Cambs) do.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Have to say it looks deliberate.

A weird trajectory to come out of the junction - he's essentially taking a wider route than he needs to, especially with no oncoming traffic, and the knowledge that he's going to be moving across to the right to take the right turning.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Yeah I think that was definitely deliberate as 15 secs in you can see he cuts you off having intially pulled out you think he will at least remain further out giving you space, but no the cretin pulls toward the nearside right into your path. If the car had started to pull out on me he would firstly have got a very loud "Oi!!!" If he still continued to drive at me, like this one did to you, his car would have got a slap to avoid him knocking me down. I think in your instance he was lucky your handle bars didn't make contact with the side of his car leaving quite a scratch .................

Did you shout, and I mean really shout, a warning at him so he couldn't possibly have NOT heard and therefore seen you???? Perhaps time to invest in an Airzound?

The small green van which passed you at the start was pretty close as well.

You don't look behind you much ..................

Drivers in Swindon nearly hate cyclists just as much as those in St.Ives (Cambs) do.

I have an Airzound, I used it when he started to move to the left, he didn't care. No shouting or banging from me, did not even think of doing anything like that, until after it happened.

The close pass by the green van was just annoying, especially as he had room to give me more space.

It does appear I do not look behind much but I have a mirror so I am well aware of what's behind me. As I am looking at him I am also glancing down at the mirror. I look over my shoulder when I am changing position, turning or slowing down for a traffic/traffic lights/junctions.

Crankarm

Guru
I have an Airzound, I used it when he started to move to the left, he didn't care. No shouting or banging from me, did not even think of doing anything like that, until after it happened.

The close pass by the green van was just annoying, especially as he had room to give me more space.

It does appear I do not look behind much but I have a mirror so I am well aware of what's behind me. As I am looking at him I am also glancing down at the mirror. I look over my shoulder when I am changing position, turning or slowing down for a traffic/traffic lights/junctions.

Deliberate IMHO. Stone or crucify him.

If a moton was driving their vehicle at me I would definitely shout, as loud as I could, to avoid being taken down.

The whole point about looking behind is not the actual looking behind itself, although it is, but that drivers approaching behind will see you are looking behind at them therefore causing them to slow and giving you a wide berth when passing. It works or used to when I regularly looked behind 2, 3, 4 times at each moton I thought might close pass or pull out.

Top Bottom