Deliberately pushed off - Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Alaskan Rob

Just to give you an update on the Police response, as their attitude towards cyclists is deeply disturbing...

So after I was pushed off the Police did turn up and take details, and as I went off to hospital they gave me a card. Now the next day I noticed it had an incident number, but not a crime number. Now I was pushed off at 25mph so this is assault / ABH / GBH / Attempted murder - take your pick, and also failing to stop.

Added to the fact I had now discovered via the internet several other very similar and serious incidents in the same area in recent years, I phoned up and asked for the crime number, and passed on the info about the pattern of attacks. I was told it had been classified as an RTA not a crime, despite both me and my friend telling them at the scene that I had been pushed. Over the last 10 days I have called 6 times - as I was told 4 times the officers who attended would call to speak to me and change it to assault, but they never did. Until finally today I got it recognised as a crime.

They reported it as an RTA as it meant no work for them to do, and their personal / constabularies crime clear-up rate would not be adversely affected as they knew it would be difficult to solve.

But the fact that they are deliberately misreporting attacks on cyclists is deeply disturbing as it means these things are not being passed on to the detectives investigating the cases where the outcomes were not so lucky. The cyclist who had his back broken and has been unable to work since. Today I called the detective who was investigating that one and he said after his appeal for witnesses that 'dozens' of cyclists had come forward to say in recent years they had been attacked in exactly the same way in this area, but he said that in nearly all those cases the Police at the time had misreported them as RTAs. This means that the officers investigating the more serious ones never get that info, and evidence is lost.

Now I was never expecting them to 'solve' my case, but I do expect them to honestly report it as a crime, not least in that the info might be useful to other enquiries, as obviously there is something very unpleasant going on in this area.

If within a 5 mile area in the space of 3 years dozens of people were attacked from behind with a hammer I'd imagine the Police would record those as crimes and properly investigate them. If dozens of people at the same train station over a couple of years were pushed on to the tracks I imagine the Police would make an attempt to catch the attacker.

But with cyclists it seems it's perfectly fair game to push them off at high speed at the risk of serious injury or death, it's not even a crime apparently.

Sorry to read about your indifferent treatment at the hands of HM Constabulary, but it looks as if with your persistence you've at least got a change of attitude, or at least a change of categorisation of the incident. Well done! But don't expect a result I'm afraid, the police still don't have a reg. number and without that they have nothing to go on. Unless they take the pattern of assaults seriously enough and establish a correlation. But I'm not hopeful!

In the 28-year-old incident which I mentioned earlier, of course I expected nothing, but I did hope the police would add it to the list just in case there was a spate of such assaults. But nothing came of it.

I did have a successful result with the police in a more recent assault about four years ago: on that occasion I was punched in the ear by a passenger, but not unseated. That time, I did get a reg. number and description, and the police followed it up. And it was treated as a criminal case: Common Assault. OK the culprit got away with a police caution, but he does get a criminal record out of that!

Best of luck with your case anyway!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Rob, I think you need to tip off the press on this! It sounds to me as if someone has decided to fiddle serious information in a concerted effort within the Police or that there is a severe lack of appropriate training. :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ianrauk said:
^^^ The Bromley Newshopper and other local rags would love to run this story.

Just be sure, if you do go to the press that you get your facts (and quotes from the detective) totally right, or you may end up in hot water yourself

jonesy said:
Yes, have you contacted the CTC? This is exactly the sort of thing their policy team would be interested in.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3851

that's an excellent thought

Rob, it sounds as if the only thing that has got this shifting, is your own persistence.

Well done.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
jonny jeez said:
Just be sure, if you do go to the press that you get your facts (and quotes from the detective) totally right, or you may end up in hot water yourself

that's an excellent thought

Rob, it sounds as if the only thing that has got this shifting, is your own persistence.

Well done.
Completely agree there. You need to be sure of what the officer said to you, but the rest can be seen as a tip off and the press can take it from there. Often they can run a little article and then others come forward. Its happened with other crimes before.

I'm sure the CTC could do a campaign on this, perhaps talk on the local radio and or to the press themselves.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
downfader said:
Completely agree there. You need to be sure of what the officer said to you, but the rest can be seen as a tip off and the press can take it from there. Often they can run a little article and then others come forward. Its happened with other crimes before.

I'm sure the CTC could do a campaign on this, perhaps talk on the local radio and or to the press themselves.

Rob, if I were you and I wanted to go to the press...I would use downfaders tack and perhaps go the opposite direction regards the police.

in other words, tell the press about the incidents and how this fantastic detective has uncovered a pattern that you are helping to solve.(whilst holding down your gag reflex)

if you attack the plod, you are biting off the only hand that is feeding you right now...I appreciate this is frustrating as clearly they have been a complete bunch of arse-wipes in trying their best NOT to investigate, but you want a result not a battle

Also, (I hate to sound clandestine) but if you take on the plod you need to remember they are members of a very, very big club (much bigger than yours) and one that can cause the average law abiding (and fine paying) chap's life to get pretty uncomfortable...one way or another

Keep up the persistence.

fimm

Veteran

dondare

Über Member
BentMikey said:
It's being discussed on yacf - was on an audax.

I keep letting my membership of yacf lapse, it doesn't get lively enough there as a rule.

I am hearing about these attacks and I wonder whether it's becoming a bit of a craze like happy slapping.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
dondare said:
I am hearing about these attacks and I wonder whether it's becoming a bit of a craze like happy slapping.

I was wondering the exact same thing whilst reminding myself not to go riding out in the sticks.

its really playing on my mind

BentMikey said:
It's being discussed on yacf - was on an audax.
I had a quick look (a rare visit, I'm not on YACF anymore). Looks really nasty, a worrying development, and possibly I was wrong to declare "this is rare" (copycat assaults maybe?). Perhaps we need a proper collecting point for reports of all such attacks that come to our attention?

It now comes to my mind, I wonder if this could possibly have happened to my son in Scotland last week? He still remembers nothing of his crash and he was alone. If anyone knows of attacks like this in the Highlands (particularly Fort William/Glencoe/Oban areas), would be keen to know...

As regards my own 'happy slapping' assault a few years ago, I took pains to tell the constable at the time, that I wasn't bothered about pressing charges (I wasn't hurt after all), and that a police caution would do. Maybe with hindsight I should have pressed for it to go to court? As for the much more serious assault in Wales, surely if the culprit is caught it has to be a long custodial sentence? Attempted murder, that's what I'd call it...

Top Bottom