Dent on rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
I've found a dent in the rim of my rear wheel - how bad is this? Live with it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 93

400bhp

Guru
Unfortunately, it looks pretty bad and in a place I'd be concerned about effective braking.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Does the dent go in or out? I can't tell from the picture. If it's smooth and there are no cracks or creases to form a stress riser I would ignore it. Actually I would get a short length of hardwood and place it on the dent then tap the end with a hammer, with the rim well supported, to try to push the dent out. Then I would just inspect it carefully every time I cleaned the bike after a ride.

OP
OP
MichaelO

MichaelO

Veteran
It dents in, so probably a bit tricky to tap it out. It doesn't appear to be cracked or creased - might drop it into the LBS for them to check it over.

Chris S

Legendary Member
If you've got steel rims then it's not likely to be a problem. An aluminium or alloy one will have been weakened so I'd replace it.

Citius

It's an aluminium rim - so as mentioned above, just 'sand and go'. Would need to be a lot worse than that before I started bothering the LBS.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the rim is new and not worn just sand off. If it's an old rim and worn then replace. I've dented new rims and old rims. I replace the old ones.

OP
OP
MichaelO

MichaelO

Veteran
I happened to be passing the LBS, so dropped in. Dent isn't an issue, but the rim is quite worn, so will replace anyway. Bought the wheels in September, and have done about 2,500ish miles through the winter (mainly London commuting). The rims are H Plus Son archetype - is that "normal" wear? The front rim is fine & has loads of wear left. Must mean I use the rear brake more than I thought I did!!

Citius

I happened to be passing the LBS, so dropped in. Dent isn't an issue, but the rim is quite worn, so will replace anyway. Bought the wheels in September, and have done about 2,500ish miles through the winter (mainly London commuting). The rims are H Plus Son archetype - is that "normal" wear? The front rim is fine & has loads of wear left. Must mean I use the rear brake more than I thought I did!!

Hold a straight edge against the braking surface - unless you can see a serious amount of daylight between the rim and the rule, the rim is still good for a bit longer yet.

Top Bottom