Dental charges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I need to get a tooth taken out. I've been told that the initial examination is (about) £23 and if I need the extraction it will be £65.
Is that another £65 or is the cost of the initial examination (£23) included in it?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'll be both charges.

On another note I've been paying for dental insurance for the past year but can't access any service. If I cancel I'd re-join at a much more expensive rate. Thanks Denplan :cursing:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From NHS Website
  • Emergency dental treatment – £23.80 This covers emergency care in a primary care NHS dental practice such as pain relief or a temporary filling.
  • Band 1 course of treatment – £23.80 This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate.
  • Band 2 course of treatment – £65.20 This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or removal of teeth but not more complex items covered by Band 3.
  • Band 3 course of treatment – £282.80 This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work.
So sorry to @DCLane , it's just the one charge

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably both costs.
NHS or private?
I paid about £90 privately last time I had a tooth out (the examination before that was covered by my monthly payments)

However, to be sure, why not phone up and ask?

vickster

Legendary Member
It'll be both charges.

On another note I've been paying for dental insurance for the past year but can't access any service. If I cancel I'd re-join at a much more expensive rate. Thanks Denplan :cursing:
Odd, my private dentist has been up and running again since the summer?
In fact I'm due my second post LD1 check up and hygienist (once I can get up the spiral staircase at the practice that is :wacko: )

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Odd, my private dentist has been up and running again since the summer?
In fact I'm due my second post LD1 check up and hygienist (once I can get up the spiral staircase at the practice that is :wacko: )

Mine's not doing anything except extractions. No check-ups or any other service. Denplan's statement is that there are no routine examinations or support, yet their customers still have to pay their insurance costs.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Probably both costs.
NHS or private?
I paid about £90 privately last time I had a tooth out (the examination before that was covered by my monthly payments)

However, to be sure, why not phone up and ask?
I did but after I put the phone down I wondered what they meant. I asked a question here instead of phoning-up again and being put on hold for several minutes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine's not doing anything except extractions. No check-ups or any other service. Denplan's statement is that there are no routine examinations or support, yet their customers still have to pay their insurance costs.
Lord...this prompted me to call...I can't get in until the 22nd March but that's fine (if I need emergency treatment sooner, I can just get in touch)

I'd personally cancel and just join another insurer (and change dentist if needed). Or not bother and just risk it, and pay as go if needed

GrandadRob

You lucky people. In our one horse town they struggle to get Dentists. So our only NHS dentist has just lost one, and once again we get chucked out. This is a repeat occurance, about every three years over the last twenty. So no check ups just emergencies. By the time it returns to normal, wont need a dentist, the teeth will all have fallen out.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It'll be both charges.

I have a bupa plan. Same problem as you. £22 a month and I haven’t been to the dentist in the last 12 months.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Ianrauk has it right ... i’ve been for the band 1 package but as a result had to have the band 2 package as well, today ..£65
Why did Buffoon close the golf courses during this latest lockdown ... only way to get the dentists back to work ... guess who said that .. ?
My Dentist !

That's tight, It'll be down to your own Dentist.

I'm in Denplan and still go every 3 months for check up's and scale/polish and have done all through.

Last appointment 4 Jan this year.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Funny enough I asked that question today at my dentist. I had check up and examination today and have to go back in March for a filling repair. I asked about the cost and they said they will charge me £65 for both all in even though it’s spread across 2 visits. NHS

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Funny enough I asked that question today at my dentist. I had check up and examination today and have to go back in March for a filling repair. I asked about the cost and they said they will charge me £65 for both all in even though it’s spread across 2 visits. NHS
It also covers any return for re-treatment or follow up for up to 6 months.

Top Bottom