Depressing living here. Any ideas about moving abroad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Another day off work due to the crap weather! I'm sat here twiddling my thumbs thinking the usual depressing thoughts about what the future holds for me. I don't think it's a midlife crisis as i've had these thoughts for years. Basically i'm peed off with living in Britain. Not only the weather but the me me greedy materialistic society we've become. The roads are packed out with get there as fast as possible ignorant motorists. Shopping centres are full of overweight slovenly scruffy gits and the country is run by self serving politicians.
These aren't all the things getting to me,there's plenty more. If someone said hey there's a nice little job for you in sunnier climes i'd jump at the chance! I'm not after much,just a change of scenery and a roof over my head with some work to pay my way. The former landlady of my local pub was ridiculed for having such a dream the other year when she retired after losing the pub and her marriage,but she took the leap and went to live in Cyprus. She said to me before she went "Why live in old age poverty in shitty Accrington when i can live in poverty in sunny Cyprus?". She went out there,found some bar work,even flew her three cats out there and now all of them live the laid back life!
Is it just a pipe dream or could it happen? Your thoughts please!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go for it, as you say what have you got to lose?

...other than everything like some people I know who thought Spain a good place to live and buy property 10 years ago or whenever it was when the floor fell out of the market :sad:

Must be plenty of manual labour jobs nowadays in Eastern Europe!

I think you'll find self serving politicians everywhere. It's always better if you speak the lingo. What's your profession?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Accy,

I've no wish to pry, but I believe you have posted before about health problems.

Care, particularly for the elderly, is all but non-existent in many foreign countries, even less existent for ex-pats.

You will find many return to blighty when they get older, and three letters tell you why: NHS.

Northing to stop you following the same route, but healthcare abroad is something you need to consider.

Oldbloke

Guru
One of my sons has recently moved to Malta as he was sick of UK weather etc.

Better weather, English spoken, lots of pros BUT

Looney drivers, very busy roads, cycling not recommended at all!

I'm in north west France, weather pretty much same and often worse than SE England, but roads are much quieter and much better condition than what I see when I visit England.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
True, but sometimes it actually IS! :okay:

I would like to continue living in the UK most of the time but start wintering somewhere warmer and sunnier, such as the Costa Blanca. I would also like the option of going away at short notice at other times of the year if the weather were playing up here, as it is now.

I definitely would NOT like to live somewhere with very hot summers! 20-25 degrees C is just right for my cycling. 30+ makes me want to hide in the shade!

I do agree that there are a lot of unpleasant people about, but my experience of CycleChatters has been much more positive. I have ridden with over 100 different CC members now and there are only a couple of people that I would not like to meet again.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Go for it, as you say what have you got to lose?

...other than everything like some people I know who thought Spain a good place to live and buy property 10 years ago or whenever it was when the floor fell out of the market :sad:

Must be plenty of manual labour jobs nowadays in Eastern Europe!

I think you'll find self serving politicians everywhere. It's always better if you speak the lingo. What's your profession?

I wouldn't call it a profession,i'm a window cleaner. I wouldn't even consider buying any property abroad,just renting a flat over a shop would do me. Surely they want their windows washing over there? That'd do me. Cleaning windows in the sun!:sun:

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't call it a profession,i'm a window cleaner. I wouldn't even consider buying any property abroad,just renting a flat over a shop would do me. Surely they want their windows washing over there? That'd do me. Cleaning windows in the sun!:sun:
As above, you'd need to understand the costs of healthcare and access to such

Why not move within the UK, there are nicer places than Accrington I'm sure, like the countryside! Do you own property? Rent? Or housing association/council? Might influence how you can do it

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy,

I've no wish to pry, but I believe you have posted before about health problems.

Care, particularly for the elderly, is all but non-existent in many foreign countries, even less existent for ex-pats.

You will find many return to blighty when they get older, and three letters tell you why: NHS.

Northing to stop you following the same route, but healthcare abroad is something you need to consider.

I know. That's the major minus about moving abroad. I don't want to waffle on about my health but i've had the "Big C" and my eye sight is a worry of mine. I know it wouldn't be as simple as walking down to the health centre like over here and getting someone to see you straight away. Maybe i should have took the leap 20 years ago when i was in better shape?

Top Bottom