Depression in tyre.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Repaired an inner tube the other day. Rode bike and now feels like I'm constantly riding over mini speed bumps on that tyre. Have just spun it and watched as it goes through the gap at top of seat stays and most definitely tyre seems much shallower/depressed at a certain point. Have I squashed it into the rim too much at that point or something? Rim itself is fine and spokes all taut. Taut? Doesn't look right. Anyway, any ideas?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Re-seat maybe? I have an annoying tyre on my tourer where I need to use washing up soap to seat it perfectly (eco stuff without salt). Schwalbe sell a slippery product but soap does fine.

gazza1286

The tyre bead at that particular point will be sitting slightly lower within the rim channel. It's simple to correct. All that's required is to take the wheel off the frame - let most of the air out - down to around 20psi and then manipulate the tyre to effectively lift the bead so that it sits evenly all around the circumference. Once you're happy pump up to full pressure.

Ajax Bay

Guru
When inflating any tyre, after the first ten pumps (assume being inflated in time-honoured manner) give said tyre a quick 'bounce' all round to make sure the beads are correctly in place.
And if the action advised above doesn't sort it, take the tyre off and check that the rim is 'vertically' true. Not easy to see with the tyre on.

Top Bottom