Derailer not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolfbaine

Hi,
I am a disabled veteran and whilst stuck at home I thought it would it be a good idea to learn bike maintenance. As such my son's road bike gear cables are both frayed. I thought I'd start simple and have replaced the inner cable for the derailer first. Unfortunately, l cannot get it to shift up or down, I have got the cable as tight as I can but have not yet cut the cable due to this been my first attempt. I have done the change as laid out in my online course and Haynes Bike Maintenance and don't know what to do next. I would be grateful for any advice, on what to do next.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi,
I am a disabled veteran and whilst stuck at home I thought it would it be a good idea to learn bike maintenance. As such my son's road bike gear cables are both frayed. I thought I'd start simple and have replaced the inner cable for the derailer first. Unfortunately, l cannot get it to shift up or down, I have got the cable as tight as I can but have not yet cut the cable due to this been my first attempt. I have done the change as laid out in my online course and Haynes Bike Maintenance and don't know what to do next. I would be grateful for any advice, on what to do next.
Front or rear derailleur?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Pulling the cable should move the derailleur from the small to the large chainring. Have you tried moving the derailleur by hand with no cable attached to confirm it is moving freely? Is the shifter set to its lowest setting before you attach the cable to the derailleur?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Pulling the cable should move the derailleur from the small to the large chainring. Have you tried moving the derailleur by hand with no cable attached to confirm it is moving freely? Is the shifter set to its lowest setting before you attach the cable to the derailleur?
what he said , set the L stop screw so the easiest gear at the front and back should be close to the inner of the FD but not rubbing and cable there .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you loosen the bolt at the derailleur end so it no longer holds the cable in place. Can you push the derailleur by hand so it sits above the big ring? Is it two rings or three rings up front by the way?

A photo paints a thousand words if you can post some.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Did you release the levers before fitting new cable?
Assuming Shimano, the little lever should be fully released before fitting new cables.
Pretty sure the OP could not have threaded the cable in (which they have) unless the little lever had been fully clicked.
Undo cable clamp. Manually push FD cage left and right. Left should line up with small chainring (chain running to largest sprocket at the back). Right should line up with large chainring (chain running to smallest sprocket at the back). Limit screws (marked H and L) limit the cage's movement (adjust as necessary). Clamp cable with tension. Operating large lever (on brake/STI) should pull the cable and move the cage right.
Its the front no matter how tight I pull the cable the pull arm wont stay above small cog
I can't quite envisage this: does increasing tension in the cable (pull clamped cable by hand assuming not internal cabling) move the FD at all? A screwed in L limit screw will assuredly keep the FD cage in line with the small chainring. The 'pull arm' needs to move left to move the cage right.

OP
OP
Wolfbaine

Wolfbaine

Thanks for all your comments I can move it manually, I cannot remember if I had it in low gear when taking out the old cable which has been a worry.

OP
OP
Wolfbaine

Wolfbaine

If you loosen the bolt at the derailleur end so it no longer holds the cable in place. Can you push the derailleur by hand so it sits above the big ring? Is it two rings or three rings up front by the way?

A photo paints a thousand words if you can post some.
Thanks for coming back, yes I can move derailleur manually and when I let go chain goes directly to the smaller cog. I will take a couple of photos this PM and forward them to you.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks for coming back, yes I can move derailleur manually and when I let go chain goes directly to the smaller cog. I will take a couple of photos this PM and forward them to you.
Have you attached the cable to the derailleur correctly, so that it is pulling it the correct way. If the cable is the wrong side of the clamp it will be trying to move it against the stops

Top Bottom