derailler set up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
bought a new bike a while back and after a while the front derailler was out of sync as hard as i tried i could not get it right.

my chain snapped last week, put a new chain on and now have the front derailler perfect, but now i cant get into first or second on the rear! doh.

it does have a free service due but its quite a drive back to the shop i bought it from.
anyone know of pictures text or video that may help me get it right?

compo

Veteran
What do you call first and second, the two biggest sprockets or the two smallest sprockets.

New bike + maladjusted front mech + snapped chain + maladjusted rear mech = warranty + warranty + warranty.

BTW If you fangle with it before you take it back you're likely to invalidate your warranty.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
video is perfect. thank PpPete
There's one thing that I'm not clear about in that clip. Having set the high and low limit screws, which sprocket should the chain be on when you refix the gear cable? The smallest one I suppose, but could someone confirm that. Also, are all the adjustments made with the chain on the big ring of a double, and the middle ring of a triple? Please excuse my ignorance.

If you are adjusting both front and rear, always adjust front first.

front:
Small front cog = large rear cog and adjust accordingly and re-attach gear cable
Do not adjust middle ring front - if you have one
front large cog = small rear cog and adjust accordingly then test. Any tweaks can be made by adjusting cable screw

Rear:
Start with chain in the centre of of the sprockets and release the gear cable, turn crank and chain will fall to its natural position, either rear large sprocket or rear small sprocket. Line up the jockey wheels using hi, lo screws and re-attach grear cable then test by turn the crank and changing gears. Any tweaks can be made by adjusting cable screw. Standing behind bike turning screw to right will help the mechs to move down and turning to left help mechs to move up.

Hope this helps - bit difficult to explain

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank you LJ. I now understand all the points about the rear mech, but where should your chain be on the front chain rings when you fiddle with the rear one? I have a triple.

Well, that doesn't really matter if the chain rings are already adjusted. But this said I always have mine on the large ring simply because thats the last check when adjusting the front mech.

Top Bottom