Derailleur woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Another thing I've just noticed.
..with chain off & sighting between the edge of the chainwheel & the chainstay... If I turn the cranks the gap between chainwheel & stay goes from around 6mm to 10mm indicating a warped or bent chain wheel???

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
& it looks like the threaded hole in the dropout may only fit the Benelux bolt thread...(i've tried another old huret bolt in it & it binds)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
  1. Rear spacing 126mm (standard for a racing frame of that age)
  2. That's the 'B' screw, it goes behind the metal 'tang' on the dropout.
  3. The thread in the hanger may have been partially 'cross threaded'.
  4. The crank may be on the shaft 'on the skew' or the shaft/crank could be bent, I'd remove the cotter pin and get the crank as straight as possible on the shaft then reinstall the cotterpin (with some copper grease) and give it a big 'whack' on the blunt end before tightening the nut if you want to keep that crank, (I'd swap it for a better one probably square taper)
Nowt that can't be fettled though. :becool:

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Cheers raleighnut ...the b screw boss thing is in the way of me screwing directly into the dropout hanger hole. So short of grinding it off the bike its going to have to have that extra hanger attached. The benelux bolt screws in and out just fine so i dont think its cross threaded unfortunately its just round on the top (no flats for a spanner) so i can only screw it hand tight... Think I will replace the bb tho (If I can sort the derallieur before I throw the whole thing in the skip lol!!) ...the Williams one on it is in pretty nasty condition (badly silver painted over rusty chrome)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@mjray I wish I knew...!
@mikeymustard yes it's Cyclo Benelux ...had a look at that site can't see mine tho.. it's sort of 'dog legged' out?
I think I might end up doing as they say though & saw the fricking thing off!
No need to saw it off, mount the 'claw' in tandem with it.

7316863_orig.jpg

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
IMG_20160530_200558.jpg
How it was when I bought it hopefully you can see how it dog legs out from the dropout so I can't mount the hanger in tandem (its straight)

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Screenshot_2016-05-30-20-31-47.png
probably against the rules ....but this is a screenshot from another forum about a 50's Viking about Benelux systems . Mine does have the braze on levers too (only one fitted tho) & maybe this is why only the Benelux bolt will thread on...

scarygerbil

the Benelux screw can be tightend but needs a special two pronged spanner these are used today for securing glass onto posts go to any rail station with automatic gates and you will see them but what I use is a pair of long nosed pliers. on the derailers I have seen these are use to attach the mech to the claw, the important thing isthat these gears don't work on a cantilever system like most derailers but on a horizontal rod and compression spring with a horizontal adjustment, so my wild guess is that someone has replace the original derailer

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ok so took the hanger off ...but found I can't screw the svx into the threaded hole in the dropout because there is a 'thing with a small screw' in the way -second picture the gap between the bolt & the thing with the screw is not wide enough ...what now? View attachment 130156 View attachment 130157
Looking at the rear mech can you not remove the B screw and carefully grind/file part of the boss away (the bit that is angled) in order to get clearance on the existing hanger?

I think that screw that is getting in the way is a stop screw for that claw drop out, so you should be able to adjust it to clear the drop out on the frame.
If I remember correctly there should be a special "D"shaped nut which bolted to the rear derailleur and slid into the drop out which the axle butted up against.

Top Bottom