Derallieur setting...does this look right to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok, here is a pic of my derallieur this morning.

The chain and rear cassette were replaced new last week. Since then there has been an annoying click click click as i pedal. This noise only occurs when pedalling, not when free wheeling and only when I am on the bike, not when turning the pedals by hand when off the bike. I put up with it for a couple of rides until today when the chain fell off when I went over a small bump (which has never ever happened to me before).

So i am thinking the perhaps the chain is too 'loose'...or has perhpas 'stretched in' ??? Should I have a bigger gap between positions A and B in the photo? Perhaps by pulling the arm down in the direction marked as C/D in the pics???
Is this a cable tightening job??
I lubed the crank arms because last time this click occurred it was them but it hasnt solved this one...which sounds more like the chain to me.

I took a look at the bicycle tutor tutorial video on this and I am wondering if the derallieur is set right on mine...as i have a degree in incompetency I am loathe to mess with this just before my tour but i need to get rid of the click and stop the chain falling off...so any suggestions welcomed and appreciate as always. Ta.;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where the derailleur pivots on the hanger you will find a little screw, which limits the forwards pivoting movement by pressing on a step in that little steel collar. Try tightening this and observing the effect on the measurements you have marked and hence the chain tension.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thankyou for trying to help me.

Do you mean this screw (left pic circled in white)?...or the one located underneath 'D' on th eright hand pic near the spring iinside ?

I'm probably wrong here (a habit I seem to have picked up since marriage), but where the der bolts onto the hangar I can see what looks like a 'stop' on the der (right hand side of the mount) with possibly a matching stop on the hangar just a little bit below it. Should these two bits be touching each other? as that would mean losening the bolt , turning the der mount clockwise abit tighten back up, the mech will then be pulling a bit more on the chain with the top jockey being lower and further away from the cassette. I've recently replaced my mech and made that mistake :smile: (I was in a hurry;))

betty swollocks

large member
Looks like your top jockey wheel is too near the cassette, possibly touching it.
Find the screw that Rigid raiders refers to and tighten it (clockwise).
To find this screw, go to the rear of the bike, get down on your haunches and see if there is a screw directly under the drop-out with its head facing towards you.
This screw adjusts the amount the derailleur wraps round the cassette and tightening it should bring the top jockey wheel further away.
Good luck and let us know if this works!

dodgy

Other posters are correct (lots of good advice on these forums), what's happened is your LBS have fitted a new chain which after removing a few links is slightly shorter than your old chain, so the derailleur is attempting to adapt by moving closer to the cassette. Either add another link (probably not what you'd prefer), or adjust as detailed above.

Dave.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok..many thanks.

I turned the B screw clockwise (about a complete turn) but it didnt seem to make any visable difference to the distance between the top 'jockey' wheel and the cogs in the cassette. I did this first on the smallest chain ring and largest sprocket, then again on the smallest sprocket.
So should I leave the screw a turn tighter than before or loosen it back to where it was before?

The gears shift ok across the cassette both when riding and not riding....(although not as smoothly as they did on my old chain and cassette).

However the click click click as the pedals turn when I ride is still there. I have lubed things but still it clicks.
I have been over th eentire bike to make sure everything else is tighten up properly . I reckon the mos tlikely source of this click is probably the chain on the front derallier..although it looks to be clearing the sides ok when i am off the bike anyway.

...thanks once again for helping all.

The screw which adjusts the top jockey away from the cassette is called the 'b' adjust and often requires more than one full turn to have an appreciable effect. The chain falling off is another matter altogether and is caused by maladjusted limit screws which are the two screws found close together and visible from the side.

Has it crossed your mind to take the bike back to the shop?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

If I cannot fix it I will take it back to the LBS. Howevcer I hesitate because 1) I need to learn how to do this myself & 2) They are incompetent and have a serious attitiude...we already had a row....I will go get my camera and take some more pics.

edit...erm...camera is awol today with sprog at skool. I will post tomorrow.

this since the cowboys had their hands on it??
check the link joining pins.if they've used the shimano joining pin they may not have put in in right.everything should be ok if you've ridden on it but it's worth a check.

Chris James

Über Member
mickle said:
The chain looks a bit long to me, can we have a picture of the rear mech with the chain in the big ring and largest sprocket?

I must admit I thought it looked a bit long too, but it is difficult to tell unless you can go through all the gears. I suspect the bike shop didnt shorten the chain to match the number of links on your original one.

Top Bottom