Derallieur setting...does this look right to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the frequency of the clicking? Is it;
In time with the pedals?
In time with a full rotation of the chain?
In time with the wheel?
In time with individual chain links?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

These were just taken a few moments ago...after I have turned the B screw a full turn

jags

Guru
btfb i would safely say your chain is to long have you got a chainbreaker ok click down to smallest sprocket on wheel ,lift chain off crankset so now you have a loose chain tape it to chainstay so as when you breakchain it wont come off derailer saves you time wip off 2 links then join back a little oil on the link you may have a stiff link so just rock it back and forth in your fingers hope that helps.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..hmm..I was afrai dof that...oh well at least I am about to learn how to split ans shorten a chain I guess! i will try tomorrow.
Thanks All.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Just before i go out and split this chain how do I put the thing back together? Can I simply remove one link an then join the two ends back together...or is it ( and I suspect it will be) somewhat more complicated than that? I have a chain splitter thing on my multi tool, but I have never used it. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot simply use the old pin to re conect this shimano chain?

Man I wish I could trust LBS's...you'd think they could be relied on to get this basic job right in a service...anyway...look I also have one of those 'power link' things that says 9 speed on the side of it...perhaps this is an answer???

if you split the chain it's easier to rejoin using one of these i stopped using shimano joining pins because they are fiddly.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871
before you cut the chain try to check it's length the campag way.
put it on the small chainring at the front and smallest cog at the back, if the chain runs smoothly and doesn't rub against itself under the top jockey wheel ( you'll See what i mean when you try to run it)then it should be ok. i set all mine that way.

For setting chain length I use the Sheldon method (I think Shimano suggest the same)
"The best technique for setting chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination, without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length."
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain
There's lots of useful info on derailleur set up as well in that article.

mickle said:
As a professional cycle mechanic I can assure you that Shi* No chains are a pain in the arse, I avoid them at all costs.

I have the same opinion of Shimano chains and the silly bloody joining pins (though I'm happy to use other Shimano stuff). For the past 10 years or so I've used mostly KMC with the handy connecting link at around a fiver a time (I only have 3X7 gearing though), at that price it's nearly as cheap to replace them as clean and re-lube them :biggrin:.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..well i dropped into another lBS on my ride today and asked to buy a couple of the chain pivot things for the chain for when I split it. The bloke was pretty helpful and even though he had peeps eyeing up MTBs in the shop he took time to find the gizmos and refused to let me pay for them...pretty cool i thought...anyway we got chatting and he had a look at my chain and poked around some...his view was that it is at the correct tension, or at least it doesnt 100% need a link removed. Also he measured me up and it is now official...my Galaxy 64frame is to big for me and that is what is causing my stretching issue...I need a 61 frame poss even 59 apparently. Then we got into a chat and I asked about about carbon road bikes...my fav subject right now...and within 2 mins I was sitting on a Spesh roubaix pro 58 frame which felt class...it pretty much fitted in terms of reach right away...but the guy still thought a 61 would be the correct size. That is now the 4th LBS to say I need a 61 so i reckon I need a 61!

So...now I have bloody long tour coming up imminently and all the while knowing the frame size is wrong...oh well...no time (or cash) to do anything about it, so I will make do and then look to trade it or sell it when i return for another Galaxy but in a 61 size.

The guy said that at my height/weight I was easy not the heaviest customer he has on full carbon frames, and that even if they did break there is a full warranty etc. He also reckoned that i must be a bloody fast rider at least on the flat...ok so flatterry will get you a roadbike sale but hey it's still good to hear!

So..I now feel the need to name a good LBS..or at least one with a guy in it who really knew his stuff and was happy to offer a simple service for free and let me walk and not try to sell me a bike which is all the rest of 'em want to do.

Pete in Bike Traks Brentwood High st Essex take a bow.

..now as for the cruddy other LBS's around here I will avoid them in future, however the one shop I now feel totally justified in naming and shaming for selling me the wrong size bike initially, and demanding £110 for a bike service when all I asked for was to fit a new chain ( and the bike is still noisier than it was before it went in)..and above all for treating me as if I was at fault when I raised the issue ...well, take a long running jump Les's bike shop Canvey Island.

Top Bottom