Derby City Council spend £6000 on three bike pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
And when all the bits have been snapped off by someone thinking it's funny while smashed on falling over water on a Saturday night and a couple of them reversed into by large metal things...
If they're anything like the ones I've seen, they're pretty solid.

Even the ones by the university have survived the former since summer (they're not really where they can be reversed into, although lord knows, I'd not be definitive about that being absolutely impossible, given the unlikely places one sees cars being driven at times here).

Steady

Über Member
Wondered how long this would take to find it's way onto CC. Unfortunately the only thing this has done has stir up the anti-cyclist brigade on the Derby Telegraph which granted doesn't take much effort since the DT likes to post a lot of flame bait for them!

I'm not too bothered or concerned about these beyond the cost and placement, I probably won't ever use them. Placement is the worst as two very much within a very short walking distance of each other. I think the £6,000 could have been better spent else where under the Local Transport Plan.

I can't understand the objection to this expenditure when Derby Council offers free car parking to the private motorist. The cost to the Council of providing just one free parking space will soon exceed the cost of three cycle tyre pumps.
I see in the press report a Derby local claims track pumps are available for £1 in Derby, get along down there folks!
http://www.poundland.co.uk/my-cycle-ultra-compact-bike-pump

They're crap

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Are these sort of pumps necessary ?

I check my tyres before I set off and I also have a pump on the bike, If you found yourself in need of a pump then you would probably have a puncture and if you don't carry a pump why would you be carrying a repair outfit or a spare tube so who are they for.

Wot he said. Public bike pumps, at this type of cost, are a poorly thought through use of our money. Only of use if your tyre is soft and you have no pump or if you have a pump but want to get it up to full pressure.

screenman

Legendary Member
Can you give a better explanation why some one would pay that sort of money, It would certainly not be the first time,
Incidentally it was said in jest.:smooch:

It is not just for the pump but the fitting of as well, I am sure money could have been better spent elsewhere though.

The reason I asked my other question is if anyone has proof which few seems to have then it needs reporting, which again few do.

Sara_H

Guru
And when all the bits have been snapped off by someone thinking it's funny while smashed on falling over water on a Saturday night and a couple of them reversed into by large metal things...
Sheffield city council installed some of these pumps. At least one that I know of was completely destroyed by vandals within a couple of weeks, though another one I pass on my way to work is in place and I've seen it in use a couple of times.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is not just for the pump but the fitting of as well, I am sure money could have been better spent elsewhere though.

The reason I asked my other question is if anyone has proof which few seems to have then it needs reporting, which again few do.
Its a box ticking exercise. That done once, will not be repeated.
Local council had lockable bike cabinets installed, for any cyclist, outside their main office. Cost was put at over £50,000, for five bikes. Less than two years later they were sold for scrap value.

screenman

Legendary Member
Its a box ticking exercise. That done once, will not be repeated.
Local council had lockable bike cabinets installed, for any cyclist, outside their main office. Cost was put at over £50,000, for five bikes. Less than two years later they were sold for scrap value.

Criminal.

Top Bottom