Derogatory terms for skilled jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I overheard someone telling their friend that her car is being looked at by the local grease monkey. Made me cringe. What else is out there?

Mechanic: grease monkey
Programmer: code monkey
Teacher: can't do anything else so teach
Air stewardess: glorified waitress
Airline pilot: glorified bus driver

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Actually the term "Air Stewardess" has become an outdated and arguably derogatory term too. It stems from those days when cabin crew generally were female, and certainly geared wholly to serving. (Stewarding).
It's way more weighted to safety duties now and done by both sexes in fairly even numbers of course. Cabin Crew is the more appropriate title.

On others, I've always found the term "Squaddie" when referring to service men and women generally does carry a certain derogatory feel to it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mrs Dr B has the word 'secretary' in her job title although she's quite senior within her organisation. On rare occasions she's had a "could you photocopy this for me and one sugar in tea" moment. Not a wise career move!

Drago

Legendary Member
Conversely, I've encountered secretaries that think because their assigned task is to do the admin and scheduling for someone important, that they themselves are well up the totem. Its pretty easy to chop them down to size.

Drago

Legendary Member
Being a squaddie never bothered me. However, being called a Bootneck or Bootie really can upset some Royal Marines, and if they can bring themselves to stop holding hands for a moment they may even trying to start a fight over it :laugh:

Some of the common names for navy personnel and sailors are quite derogatory indeed.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Quack, head shrinker, I guess?

There's the opposite end of the scale as well, which is where the various "architects" and "solutions providers" seem to come in. Taking a job that has a workable title and aggrandising it.

Top Bottom