Derogatory terms for skilled jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Squaddie is terribly unoriginal. Pongos is more accurate for infantry, dropshorts for artillery, donkey wallopers for cavalry.

Crabs for the RAF.

Booties for marines.

ozboz

Guru
I was a squaddie, as we were in Squadron's ,
Matlow. Sailor
Brylcream Boys. RAF
Rock Ape. RAF Reg't
Bootneck. RM
Pongo. Army Infantry

Pipe Strangler. Plumber
Trolley Dolly. Cabin Crew
Tyre basher. Tyre fitter

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I was a squaddie, as we were in Squadron's ,
Matlow. Sailor
Brylcream Boys. RAF
Rock Ape. RAF Reg't
Bootneck. RM
Pongo. Army Infantry

Pipe Stangler. Plumber
Trolley Dolly. Cabin Crew
Tyre basher. Tyre fitter
What's a stangler??

AndyRM

XOXO
Not sure there's a derogatory name for what I do, but the number of "opportunities" I've been offered for unpaid work which will result in "exposure" or "an enhanced portfolio" is quite a large one.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Designing kitchens and bathrooms is part of my job description and whilst I wouldn't suggest it was rocket surgery there is a certain amount of skill involved in it and quite often a considerable amount of time. I went out to check on a fit a number of years ago and the fitter suggested that I had the opportunity to see where the real work happened and referred to me as a "Pen pusher". He had to find someone else to put £1500 - £2000 a week in his pocket after that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm effectively the area sales manager for the African continent and I travel to and function successfully in some challenging places, which includes appointing agents and distributors and negotiating quite complex payment arrangements. We aren't big on job titles but it gets up my nose when the UK clerks call me a "rep" as it's a bit more than that!

Top Bottom