Derogatory terms for skilled jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Squaddie has to be the least derogatory term I've heard for cannon fodder.

Meat bomb for paratrooper?

Actually the term "Air Stewardess" has become an outdated and arguably derogatory term too. It stems from those days when cabin crew generally were female, and certainly geared wholly to serving. (Stewarding).
It's way more weighted to safety duties now and done by both sexes in fairly even numbers of course. Cabin Crew is the more appropriate title.

On others, I've always found the term "Squaddie" when referring to service men and women generally does carry a certain derogatory feel to it.

I think you're finding depreciation where there's none to be had. Steward/stewardess is perfectly acceptable and accurate. It indicates that the person's primary function is serving food, which it is. Cabin crew on the other hand, is vague. Even a pilot is part of the cabin crew for that matter. It is like shell-shock that became Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

subaqua

What’s the point
Being a squaddie never bothered me. However, being called a Bootneck or Bootie really can upset some Royal Marines, and if they can bring themselves to stop holding hands for a moment they may even trying to start a fight over it :laugh:

Some of the common names for navy personnel and sailors are quite derogatory indeed.

the booties will be far too interested in wearing ladies underwear........or dresses. only take to sea what you need, yet its funny when there is a requirement for a flowery dress the marines can supply easily ........

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I think you're finding depreciation where there's none to be had. Steward/stewardess is perfectly acceptable and accurate. It indicates that the person's primary function is serving food, which it is. Cabin crew on the other hand, is vague. Even a pilot is part of the cabin crew for that matter. It is like shell-shock that became Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

No, cabin crew is not vague, it's accurate. They're crew, and they're responsible (to the aircraft captain) for safety and conduct in the cabin. Their primary duty is not serving food. And pilots are definitively not cabin crew, they're referred to as flight crew, another accurate description.

No depreciation felt on my part by the way, I'm not cabin crew or flight crew, but if you will insist on using the phrase stewardess you will come across at best as charmingly old fashioned and a little bit befuddled with the modern world. Your comment on PTSD just further reinforces that. Understanding and treatment of this condition has evolved over many years, and the term has evolved as well, naturally.

My old job of prison officer - screw. Not the most pleasant.
Doubtless, you know the origination, from the mechanical device that was meaningless labour

I'm surprised 'Trumpton' (also 'Water Squirters'/'Human Drip-stands') haven't been mentioned yet!!

Carpenters, for Orthopaedic Surgeons, as they love their hammers, chisels, bone-screws & saws
We can tell which theatres they are operating in, by the sound of air-tools & the smell of sawed/drilled bone

Gas-Passer for Anaesthetists
Anything & Everything, for A&E (ED) staff

Sadists, for Physioterrorists, given some of their exercise regimes

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I used to object to being referred to as an 'oily rag'.
I was an electronic engineer, programming and using a computer-controlled hydraulic rig to test tens of millions of quids worth of satellite hardware.
Get it wrong, and it's well capable of sending shards of carbon in all directions and straight through anyone standing in the way.

Aircraft Electrician: Dog F**kers (don't ask)

Because you don't know, or because you did? :okay:

ozboz

Guru
I don't think I'd call that one derogatory, given the story behind it. When I was in the air cadets, there was a chap a few years older than me who went into the Regiment and he wore the nickname as a badge of pride.

Given the current state of relations with Spain, they may well be called on to live up to it soon.

I do not think many of these mean bad , its just a nick name in a way ,
I would have thought Rock Ape would have suited the RM better, Gibralter being named on their Cap Badge ,

I always thought Desert Rats was the best one of all ,

subaqua

What’s the point
again, Sparky is not derogatory.

I call myself a Spark.

as for aircraft electricians.... apparently one was caught doing the dog. however i think its more likely based on

" a person who does not do his/her fair share of work (eg walking, talking , smoking , anything but work)"

knowing several Aircraft Elecs....

Top Bottom