Derry to Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clf

I'm thinking of doing a ride from Derry to Manchester at the end if August. It will be my first multi day ride.
I'm thinking of the coast road from Derry to Belfast, a ferry to Birkenhead and then back to Manchester. Other ferry options include Larne to Stranraer and then down through the lakes, or Dublin to Holyhead and back via north Wales and Cheshire.

Is Stranraer possible on a bike? I've driven it lots of times and don't known any other road than the a75, which I would not fancy.

Does anyone have any experience of any of these routes?

Thanks.

classic33

Leg End Member
Your problem, which may well decide your route, is which ferry routes will allow you to travel by bike.
The only one to Liverpool I'm aware of sails from Dublin.

Reactions: clf

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
A completely odd idea I have just had, is Belfast to Douglas, Douglas to Heysham, you would have to check if the ferries connected reasonably-although a day or so cycling on Man would not be too bad-but the advantages of cycling through fairly rural Lancashire to Manchester instead of the Merseyside to Manchester conurbation might make it worthwhile. Just a thought.
Edit- the Manx ferries definitely take bikes.

robing

Über Member
I did this on my round Ireland trip last year. I didn't actually go to derry, but donegal, letterKenny, malin head. Then got the small ferry across to northern Ireland missing Derry. Then went to Coleraine, and along the Antrim coast route to Belfast which was a delight. Took the ferry to Birkenhead with bike no problem and only 30 quid. Then went to Liverpool lime street to get the train home. Crossing the Mersey by bike is a bit tricky, it's easier to get the local train as you can't use the tunnel.

Ferries don't go to Stranraer any more but you can go to Cairnryan (just up the coast from Stranraer) with a bike from either Larne or Belfast. Through Dumfries & Galloway and the lakes would be a longish route but the best for scenery.
With regard to the A75, it is the main route for lorries going to the ferry terminal but if you let the lorries get off the ferry and away before you set off you should be fine.

Top Bottom