Design & Cycling Innovation NO Survey

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I see many surveys about the next thing since sliced bread for the cyclist, the next idea that's going to revolutionise the industry, but usually the ideas are pretty pants as though the designer of the survey has never ridden a bike.

So how about a thread that we can put our ideas out there so they can pick up on them & maybe/possibly look into to see if they are possible.

My Million Dollar Idea, I want 40% of all gross profit if it goes into production.

I was out on Saturday & riding a busy road section which is not something I do regularly due to the dumb cage drivers. When I felt one got far too close that they needed to, there was nothing on the other side of the wide road other vehicles were straddling the white line, this particular one stayed on the same side which got me thinking.

One of the problems with the current cameras is that the fish eye lens makes it very difficult to judge exactly how much space the car actually left. So how about a device that you attach to the frame of the bike that records how close a car is as it goes past, there must be some digital way of measuring this. You can get a laser measure for £15.99 so incorporating that along with some form of recording device, maybe with time & ideally GPS so that you could sync this with your camera footage.

You would need to be able to offset the distance by the width of the bars and logically not interested in anything over 2 metres. It could have a built in camera but then mounting it may prove problematic or maybe it's a camera with a fly lead with this unit on the end.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So how about a device that you attach to the frame of the bike that records how close a car is as it goes past, there must be some digital way of measuring this.

Good idea and already been done, at least in the form of self-build from available components.

See http://oldgreycells.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-near-miss-o-meter-part-1.html

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I’ll second that motion. The downside is the police may still not do anything about it when submitted as evidence. Would it be evidence? Are genuine cycling camera videos of incidents all acted upon? I don’t know.

Drago

Legendary Member
A dynamo, but not as we know them.

The drive gear mounds around The B&B spindle on the non drive side. The unit is attached to the bottle cage mounts. A flexible drive, similar to a car Speedo cable, links the two. Unlike wheel speed pedalling cadence is generally fairly steady, and a capacitor standlight facility handles downhill coasting and stationary moments.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Mass dampers.

Inside the head and seat tubes, reduces vibes over uneven surfaces without the complication and maintenance bother of these headshock suspension things.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dropper handlebars.

You've heard of dropper seat posts? That's right, they're rubbish - learn some decent skills and buy a bike that fits.

Anyway, no need for ugle drop bars on road bikes. Nice, comfy straight bars, cow horns, apehangers, or whatever you fancy, but when you need to get some speed up you flick the lever, the dropper stem reduces the bar height and puts you in an instant racing crouch.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I have occasionally fantasised about something to be fastened to my handlebars, fitted with a laser range finder, that squirts paint stripper at objects passing within a metre. There could be interlocks to ensure it only went off above a certain passing speed, for example, to avoid damaging cars when filtering.

Yes, I know it would be criminal damage, but I can dream, can't I?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I see many surveys about the next thing since sliced bread for the cyclist, the next idea that's going to revolutionise the industry, but usually the ideas are pretty pants as though the designer of the survey has never ridden a bike.

So how about a thread that we can put our ideas out there so they can pick up on them & maybe/possibly look into to see if they are possible.

My Million Dollar Idea, I want 40% of all gross profit if it goes into production.

I was out on Saturday & riding a busy road section which is not something I do regularly due to the dumb cage drivers. When I felt one got far too close that they needed to, there was nothing on the other side of the wide road other vehicles were straddling the white line, this particular one stayed on the same side which got me thinking.

One of the problems with the current cameras is that the fish eye lens makes it very difficult to judge exactly how much space the car actually left. So how about a device that you attach to the frame of the bike that records how close a car is as it goes past, there must be some digital way of measuring this. You can get a laser measure for £15.99 so incorporating that along with some form of recording device, maybe with time & ideally GPS so that you could sync this with your camera footage.

You would need to be able to offset the distance by the width of the bars and logically not interested in anything over 2 metres. It could have a built in camera but then mounting it may prove problematic or maybe it's a camera with a fly lead with this unit on the end.

I like this, but calibration might be a problem, unless some certification of distance could be obtained. A bit like speeders need to have the capture device calibrated.- Or is this overthinking the concept. :unsure:

I would modify @Spinney 's idea to a couple of my own idle thoughts.
1. Fit the corrosive fluid to the frame between the seat post and rear axle, to save it splashing back on the rider from the back draft.
2. A laser fitted to the bike handlebars, taking out one or both of the rear lights of a close passer. Not immediately obvious. :evil:

Slick

Guru
I’ll second that motion. The downside is the police may still not do anything about it when submitted as evidence. Would it be evidence? Are genuine cycling camera videos of incidents all acted upon? I don’t know.
There are a couple doing the rounds on YouTube where it's as clear as you are ever going to get but police either took no action or would only issue a warning citing lack of evidence, but there are others like the bus driver who got 9 points and a fine for a close pass.

Very difficult to tell what actually constitutes evidence from a police perspective.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I still think my idea of an anti theft device consisting of a spring loaded spike inside the seat tube has some merit. I would want to be confident of the safety interlock though

Top Bottom