Desktop PC for parents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don'y pay extra for M$ Office, but if its included or cheap then fair enough, but Libre Office is good for free (but do make a donation). Lots of very good software for free (do donate though) which isn't bloated and is as effective as paid. Run Belarc Advisor to see what software is on the system and when and how often it's used and it will show the licence keys in case you can't find them if you are re-installing. Don't be afraid of W8.1 runs just like W7/XP with classic shell so no learning curve needed.

I wouldn't mind betting if you nip over to Priform and get CCleaner and Defraggler you can save buying a laptop...

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Don'y pay extra for M$ Office, but if its included or cheap then fair enough, but Libre Office is good for free (but do make a donation). Lots of very good software for free (do donate though) which isn't bloated and is as effective as paid. Run Belarc Advisor to see what software is on the system and when and how often it's used and it will show the licence keys in case you can't find them if you are re-installing. Don't be afraid of W8.1 runs just like W7/XP with classic shell so no learning curve needed.

I wouldn't mind betting if you nip over to Priform and get CCleaner and Defraggler you can save buying a laptop...
???

In English again...

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
He said don't by Microsoft Office, as you can download a freebie. Don't buy internet security, as you can download freebies. And you can get Windows 8.1 running like XP or 7 if you download a program called Classic Shell.

It's all true, just a lot of faff..but not too much faff...this is a link explaining the Windows 8 dilema - it has a link to classic shell on number 2:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2385007/the-top-10-windows-8-questions-everyone-asks.html

andyfraser

Über Member
How much and how big are the screens, they need full size (15"). And can you word process, transfer Office documents etc from an existing laptop and so on. I know not!
The only 15" Chromebook I know of is the new Acer for £250. For Office documents I'd set up a OneDrive account if they don't have one and transfer them there. OneDrive has online versions of Word and Excel. Google Docs can read and write Office docs too so documents can be stored in Google Drive. It's not as complicated as I make it sound. My OH has taken to her Chromebook (my old 11").

andyfraser

Über Member
All this faff is why I either run Linux or use Chromebooks or, where I do need Windows, buy PCs with no OS and take the hit on an OEM version of Windows (£76.19 currently on ebuyer).

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
There is something very odd with their current laptop. They can't complete any transactions on it. There may be a setting somewhere, but I have no idea what. They had a malware issue, an IT bod looked at it (where they used to live), did stuff and it's been quite problematic. It must be at least 5 years old and it was a £300 laptop then

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
All this faff is why I either run Linux or use Chromebooks or, where I do need Windows, buy PCs with no OS and take the hit on an OEM version of Windows (£76.19 currently on ebuyer).
That's fine if you understand and are interested in IT, not the case for many including my family!

My parents are in their 70s and want Windows, they are familiar with it enough to do what they need to when running smoothly!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't even know what Linux is. Prefer to get stuff that is ready to use with no faff. Same with bikes

Top Bottom