Desktop problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know this is petty but it is really annoying me...

On my computer (Running XP) I have the icons on the Desktop with my nice picture behind.

In the past the writing under each icon was in a colour written on to the picture. Now each bit of writing "Internet Explorer" etc is in a little block of colour. I can change the colour but cannot get rid of it.

I dont know why it has changed but it just did one day.

How can I get rid of the coloured blocks - turning the colour to clear so that the background looks nice again?

It has been annoying me every day for about a month and I cannot find how to change it. I am playing with all the display settings in the control panel but cant find a way.

Shaun

Founder
When the text under the icons on your desktop is not transparent, there are two things to check.

1) Open System from the Control Panel, select the Advanced tab, and press the Settings button under the Performance header. Make sure that on the Visual Effects tab, the option Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop is selected. Also make sure that Smooth edges of screen fonts is checked, it is also needed.

2) If this still doesn't do the trick, right-click the desktop, point to Arrange Icons By and make sure that Lock Web Items on Desktop is un-checked.

Did this help?

Cheers,
Shaun ;)

Garz

Squat Member
You want the color to be selected as transparent I think its to do with the themes and appearance when you right click desktop and tweak the settings in there. Sorry using vista so cant be precise.

Admin said:
When the text under the icons on your desktop is not transparent, there are two things to check.

1) Open System from the Control Panel, select the Advanced tab, and press the Settings button under the Performance header. Make sure that on the Visual Effects tab, the option Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop is selected. Also make sure that Smooth edges of screen fonts is checked, it is also needed.

2) If this still doesn't do the trick, right-click the desktop, point to Arrange Icons By and make sure that Lock Web Items on Desktop is un-checked.

Did this help?

Cheers,
Shaun xx(

YESSS!!!!

That did it- thanks. You cannot imagine how much that has been bugging me and how good it is to see it back to normal now.

THANK U Shaun

Top Bottom