destination/route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deacon

Hi. Me and a friend are looking to book a trip at the end of next month, somewhere in europ for a two week cycling holiday. I would really appriciate it if there are any touring bikers out there who have had a great experience and would like to share a route/destination we could follow??

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Depends what you want out of the ride.

If you a fit and lean then the Alps or the Pyrenees would do.
If you are an unfit stoner then Amsterdam for a fortnight - that's a life time if your a hippy.
German Radweg - cycle paths are well sign posted and there's a great range of Bikeline books describing the routes.
Eurovelo Six is well sign posted and follows the Loire and the Danube from St Nazaire in Brittany to Constanta in Romania

Do you want to:
Enjoy scenry?
Enjoy museums?
Be unchallenged by major climbs?
Be challenged by major climbs?
Do large distances daily?
Do moderate distances daily?
Want to camp?
Want to use hotels/b&b/hostels
Fly to the start?
Catch a ferry to the start?
Catch a train to the start?

I've cycled:
From the Channel to the Med
From St Nazaire to Budapest in three instalments
And enjoyed nearly every kilometer.

Have you cycle toured before?

Research:
Eurovelo Six
Elbe Cycle Route
Rhine Cycle Route
Danube Cycle Route

A bit more information from you will generate more useful answers. :thumbsup:

As Venon has said, more details are needed to get a good response from the many cycle tourers lurking on this forum. May I suggest that you look at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com for a start, but there are plenty more websites out there. Myself I tend to find two points on a map draw a straight line between them then follow the line allowing for deviations from the line to visit places of interest. You could look at using the Bike express to take you south into France and then cycle back home from there.

OP
OP
deacon

deacon

Right. Yeah. Guess I was just testing the water with my first message.. Thanks for the links Vernon, I'll scope em out now.
Two years ago we toured around Wales, last year we did Scotland with weighty panniers, camping wild.
When we're out we love to ride every day, pushing ourselves further, enjoy lush scenery and wild camping in woodlands as we sleep in hammocks. This will be our logest trip so far. Two weeks we plan to be out.

We first decided to go Amsterdam or Belgium then changed our minds to France, now its come to booking it we're in two minds (or three or four) where to go. I've been swaying more towards south of France recently. I think flying would be the best option for us. of course scenery is a must. Woodland camping. Maybe not too callenging on the climbs but distance indeed. Love to be on the road every day really.
Idealy if someone knew of a great two week circuit would be ace
thanks

Top Bottom