Destruction of another (unofficial) jump park.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Northampton Council, well known for being skint, has wasted valuable money, and resources, flattening the jump and downhill park in Hardingstone Woods.
It's alongside the main A45 dual carriageway and Brackmills industry and gets in the way of very few people (and there's a huge area of woodland nearby, so it shouldn't really be an issue.)

FB_IMG_1552133586071.jpg
FB_IMG_1552133595485.jpg
FB_IMG_1552133604034.jpg

_20190309_145036.JPG

I don't do the big jumps.. Way beyond my capability, but it was a fun area to ride around.

Oh well... :sad:

D

Deleted member 26715

Agreed but they are caught between a rock & hard place, the UK seems to be following the US in litigation, all that has to happen is Little Johnny fall off & hurt himself, parents then sue the council for not making the place safe, as they knew it existed.

D

Deleted member 26715

Wasn't defending them, I was just saying what their likely reasoning was, we had this argument with Notts council

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I'm sure there are similar areas being flattened all over the country for similar reasons. (I didn't think you were defending them)

Shame, really. It's been there for years, but has recently been upgraded by the Trail Pixies. Lots of hard work gone into it! I believe that the local paper was meeting with the riders today to check it out. If I see the article, I will try my best to link to it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've found one near me - someone/persons have spent a long time making it - it wasn't ridable in autumn as it's down a steep bank, but it was inches deep in leaves. Fingers crossed, no council spot it.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

@Globalti quite likely, though it is only about an acre within several. Plenty of room for everyone, I'd have thought!

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm sure there are similar areas being flattened all over the country for similar reasons. (I didn't think you were defending them)

Shame, really. It's been there for years, but has recently been upgraded by the Trail Pixies. Lots of hard work gone into it! I believe that the local paper was meeting with the riders today to check it out. If I see the article, I will try my best to link to it.
Local council helped get one built, on land owned by them. A few years later, the same council flattened it.

A complete waste of money, of what was a small well used facility.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I agree that once the council know about it on their land they are effectively condoning it.
One near us attracts kids and adults on motorbikes. The adults really should know better.
Its a public wooded area, it’s very antisocial once they arrive churning up the soil and making noise.

lazyfatgit

Local council helped get one built, on land owned by them. A few years later, the same council flattened it.

A complete waste of money, of what was a small well used facility.

Unfortunately councillors come and go. Policy changes and they go off in a different direction.

Maybe get involved with a local group and petition for a new park?

If it's any conciliation, this happens here too. It's probanly worse at a federal level. I've lost count of how many PM's we've had in 10yrs.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately councillors come and go. Policy changes and they go off in a different direction.

Maybe get involved with a local group and petition for a new park?

If it's any conciliation, this happens here too. It's probanly worse at a federal level. I've lost count of how many PM's we've had in 10yrs.
The same three ward coucillors involved in both the opening, and the closure.

Now with the possibility of housing being built nearby, they're not interested in what kids may want.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

colly

Re member eR
The same thing happens in Leeds. It's been going on for a while. It would be at least something if they were to 're-instate' the area but no they leave it looking like a disaster area.
The one I am thinking of was clean, tidy, cared for and looked after by the kids who constructed it. It was always busy with youngsters enjoying themselves and so far as I know there was never any trouble.
What message is this kind of dumb intervention sending to young people who actually have the drive, determination and gumption to get off their arses and do something for themselves?

Top Bottom