Developing a new road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdavis2506

Hello guys,

Im currently in the middle of designing a road racing bike for my final year university project and i was wondering if any of you could help me. I need to do some quick research on the cycling community and the types of bicycles that keen cyclists own.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would be able to fill out this survey, it would be very helpful!
It should take you no more than 1-2 minutes!
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/5FV2BPS
Many thanks,
Jordan

Slioch

Guru
Done.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Also done, but I didn't fill in the bit about weight because I don't race and I also don't know the overall weight of my bike. However weight is important to me because it helps with my hill climbing, although my school of thought is that it's preferable to trim kgs off the rider rather than pay £1,000s to trim gms off the bike.

S-Express

Filled it in, but I cannot fathom how any of that is going to be useful. The all-up weight of the bike is a combination of many different components and unless you plan on designing everything from frame to tyres (and everything in between) then I'm not sure why weight is even relevant. You haven't even touched on other areas, such as aero, rider contact points and rigidity/comfort.

As pointed out earlier, power-to-weight ratio of the individual riding it is invariably the most critical factor for a competitive cyclist.

Stinboy

Über Member
Filled it in, but I cannot fathom how any of that is going to be useful. The all-up weight of the bike is a combination of many different components and unless you plan on designing everything from frame to tyres (and everything in between) then I'm not sure why weight is even relevant. You haven't even touched on other areas, such as aero, rider contact points and rigidity/comfort.

As pointed out earlier, power-to-weight ratio of the individual riding it is invariably the most critical factor for a competitive cyclist.

To be fair, we don't really know the full scope of his project and what data he has already collected.

simongt

Guru
Too many variables - tyre size & type / rider build & power weight ratio / height of rider & length of legs / male / female / drive train components etc., etc..

Top Bottom