DFDS Seaways - Grrrrr!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It does seem a pretty daft policy from DFDS. The bike parking areas on the ferries that I've been on are physically separate from the cars and lorries, so it isn't as though the bikes limit the number of other vehicles. Maybe their ferries are different.

I have travelled on DFDS all over the place - always been pretty good - mind you I have never tried booking

Midsummer though they are always well booked for cabins on Harwich to Esjberg and stupidly expensive - tend to have flown to Copenhagen or Stockholm or cycled up from Hoek

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Actually, on a strictly commercial basis, DFDS might have a plan. Cyclists might occupy cabins but pay little for the bikes. Motorists who want a cabin pay good money on the car deck. Not entirely ideal, but not stupid if you run a ferry.

Pleeeeeease, this is not a P&L point!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Actually, on a strictly commercial basis, DFDS might have a plan. Cyclists might occupy cabins but pay little for the bikes. Motorists who want a cabin pay good money on the car deck. Not entirely ideal, but not stupid if you run a ferry.

This could be true for the overnight section. On the other hand, my family (and frow what I have seen many others) drive onto ferries and take a collection of food and drink up with them, therefore buying just about nothing on the ferry.

I would have thought that cyclists are more likely to buy things from the shops and restaurants as it saves on carrying extra food and drink on the bike.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport

Yes, that's obviously the reason but I don't see why they can't just charge the motorbike rate for cycles during July & August and let you book, which would, in effect be a £24 'peak season' supplement.

andym

Über Member

I thought ferry companies made their money on the cabins - at least on overnight ferries. But anyhow, the only reason I can think of for the DFDS policy (apart from corporate stupidity) is that cyclists might be taking up cabin space that otherwise would be occupied by motorists, and the motorists would be deterred from travelling, and so they'd end up with unsold vehicle-carrying capacity. But it sounds pretty implausible to me.

What's a P&L point?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I thought ferry companies made their money on the cabins - at least on overnight ferries. But anyhow, the only reason I can think of for the DFDS policy (apart from corporate stupidity) is that cyclists might be taking up cabin space that otherwise would be occupied by motorists, and the motorists would be deterred from travelling, and so they'd end up with unsold vehicle-carrying capacity. But it sounds pretty implausible to me.

What's a P&L point?

I absolutely agree.

Politics and Life = P&L. I was just hoping that the thread wouldn't degenerate into an unseemly argument about the evils of capitalism.:rolleyes:

andym

Über Member
Ah I thought maybe you meant Profit and Loss (which wouldn't make sense). Or you'd mistyped P&O.

It would be interesting to know whether DFDS take foot passengers in July and August - ie whether there's an issue about limited numbers of seats/cabins, or an overall limit on the number of passengers. If there isn't then maybe there's some operational reason.

Domestique

Über Member
I am sure I have seen a deal for two passengers in a car with a caravan for free. So nothing to do with deck space.
We really wanted to do Denmark this year, but its off now till a later date. Sent an email but just got a snotty reply as above. Narks me how one group of road users can be excluded.
Most likely we will end up flying to Denmark when we do go, out of spite :sad:

splitpin

Did anyone have any luck in sorting this problem? I've just been looking at LD Lines site to book a ferry from Ramsgate to Ostend in July, and the website is telling me that bicycles aren't allowed on that service either! I've just emailed their customer service to ask what their problem is and whether I could just pay a motorbike or car tariff. Though it might be helpful if I could quote another company's response to the same issue.

Thanks,

Mike

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
TBH I'd steer clear of the Ramsgate-Ostend service. We used it last Easter, and it really is biased towards freight.
They're barely set up for cars IMHO, so I'd definitely avoid it on a bike. Shame, as Ostend is quite a nice place.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
No response from dfds about the Denmark ferry, even though it was supposed to have been passed to their head office customer service team (aka the bin probably). We've decided to go Dover - Dunkirk then head off through Belgium into Germany and play it by ear.

The return for two plus bikes is £40 all up, which is about 500 quid cheaper than the Harwich - Hook of Holland / Denmark - Harwich option. That's a lot of Trappist beer!

gurfle

Anybody been able to figure out if it is possible take a bike onto the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry at all this year?

A buddy and I were planning a brief stopover in England with bikes (mainly for one visit to a very good old friend), but if it is this difficult, expensive (or even impossible) to get to Denmark from there as these posts are making it out to be, we sadly will have to skip England (and friend) entirely.

Has anyone tried getting on as a "moterbike"?

Thanks, for any feedback on this issue,

Nick

Top Bottom