DFDS Seaways - Grrrrr!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PalmerSperry

Has anyone tried getting on as a "moterbike"?

I do know from experience that it's not necessary to enter the vehicle registration details in order to book onto DFDS (took a hire car on DFDS for a return trip very late in 2008). So I suppose you could always claim that you selected "motorbike" by accident? :biggrin:

Alternatively I suppose it's a good argument for having a folding bike and a bag to stuff it into when you get to the ferry terminal?

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
I do know from experience that it's not necessary to enter the vehicle registration details in order to book onto DFDS (took a hire car on DFDS for a return trip very late in 2008). So I suppose you could always claim that you selected "motorbike" by accident? :biggrin:

Alternatively I suppose it's a good argument for having a folding bike and a bag to stuff it into when you get to the ferry terminal?

They won't let you book as a foot passenger in July / August. I e mailed them to ask if I could book (and pay) as a motorbike but never got a reply.

gurfle

Looks like bikes are allowed after all :biggrin: There is a technical glitch with the booking system, but using the phone instead should work.

Here a decent answer I got within 24 hours of filling out their online query form:

[quote name=fiona@DFDS]
Good afternoon

Thank you for your email.

As we have changed to a new booking system on our Harwich to Esbjerg route we seem to be having some technical problems with booking push bikes online.

So that we can check availability and give you a price please contact us on 0871 522 9955 and we will be able to help. We will waiver the telephone booking fee so that we can match the online price for you.

With kind regards

Fiona Gardner

-----------------------------------------

Travel Sales
DFDS Seaways
International Passenger Terminal
North Shields
NE29 6EE
www.dfds.co.uk

T: 0871 522 9955
[/quote]

Domestique

Über Member
Sorry to be so negative, but, that reply doesnt say bikes are now allowed. It says ring us and we will let you know :wacko:
I would love it it if it is the case that cyclists are now allowed on board during peak times, but will reserve my judgement just now.
I want to visit some relatives in Kiel and was looking forward to riding from Denmark, but I am almost certain I will end up going via Hoek v Holland and use the Dutch Flyer rail ticket deal up to Gronningen or somewhere in the north. Anyway all this is next year now as we have tickets to Hoek again this year.
Good luck with the booking and very interested to see if anyone can get booked. I am sure leaving it this late in the season there must be limited space now.

gurfle

Sorry to be so negative, but, that reply doesnt say bikes are now allowed. It says ring us and we will let you know :wacko:
I would love it it if it is the case that cyclists are now allowed onboard during peak times, but will reserve my judgement just now.

Your cautionary pessimism is certainly warranted. I got another response that not only confirms exactly what you say, but makes it quite clear that bikes are of no interest to DFDS - no doubt, as others have pointed out, because they can't squeeze enough profit out of them:

[quote name=Jayne Dryden]Good Afternoon

I have just checked on this situation with my supervisor and it seems that on certain sailings we are over capacity with vehicle spaces,therefore the bike spaces have beem reduced. This is the reason why there is a shortage of bike spaces. Therefore it is a matter of checking availability when the next bike space are there.

Regards

Jayne Dryden
[/quote]

At least they do respond to e-mail inquiries, and are making it quite clear that phone booking rather than online is what you need to do.

Nick

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
'therefore the bike spaces have been reduced'

Yep, to ZERO!

I wouldn't mind so much if they were honest and just said yes you can take a bike but it's the same price as a motorbike.

Top Bottom