dhb RC Carbon Road Shoes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheel

Hi
Thinking of getting some new road shoes for this summer. I thought the dhb RC Carbon Road Cycling Shoes from wiggle looked good.
Has anyone got these? or can advise on other shoes at approx same price range of £90. Mavic Avenir looked ok as well...

Cheers Dave:biggrin:

kyuss

Veteran
They do look very nice, if a little lacking in ventilation. The Mavic's look a bit better in that respect but ventilation isn't everything. Normally I'd always suggest trying shoes on, as fit is the most important thing, but Wiggle have a pretty good returns policy and I doubt you'll get a carbon soled shoe for less. And IME a carbon sole is worth it even if you have to do without fancy ratchet mechanisms. Those dhb's have both so you're quids in.

Until 2 years ago I only ever had experience of nylon/glassfibre soles and they never lasted much more than a year or so before going soft and the bolts pulling through the sole. Bought some Diadora MTB shoes a couple of years back with a carbon sole (on offer at Chain Reaction) and the difference really is huge. Much stiffer and they're holding really up well. I still have nylon soled spesh road shoes, but when they die, as they are sure to do, I'll be buying a road shoe with carbon sole without doubt.

hiltz

Anything carbon soled is going to be a bit better than plastic bottoms.... They last longer and are much stiffer over time...

But i dont care how cheap they are, if they dont fit alright then they're not going to be overly great shoes... Get a correct fitting shoe and spend an extra little bit if you have to... You'll thank yourself for it many miles later............

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've got a pair and found them to be great. I wouldn't say that they lack ventilation, I think they've got it spot on for British weather though the vent below the toe can give a little too much cooling on colder mornings.

They clean up pretty well despite being white and the ratchet mechanism has performed well, the only thing I'd like to see is for DHB to make the toe and heel grippers replaceable, I wear the shoes every day and can see that they'll wear down eventually. I suppose I'll just stick something on if that ever happens!

OP
OP
F

Freewheel

Thanks for the replys guys.
I think your right about the trying on first to get the correct fitting (bit of a job with the wiggle shoes lol). Just seen Shimano R220 at Evans for £79.99 may be a bargain but look almost too vented with mesh above the toes (cold feet aren't my fav thing). Kyuss i will keep looking but carbon sole seems to be best.
Cheers all
Dave

Freewheel said:
Thanks for the replys guys.
I think your right about the trying on first to get the correct fitting (bit of a job with the wiggle shoes lol). Just seen Shimano R220 at Evans for £79.99 may be a bargain but look almost too vented with mesh above the toes (cold feet aren't my fav thing). Kyuss i will keep looking but carbon sole seems to be best.
Cheers all
Dave

From reading this thread the R220's appears to be a very good deal

Does anyone have experience of the R220?

OP
OP
F

Freewheel

Hi
Mista Preston I decided to get the Shimano R220 from Evans as they looked a bargain. I order them yesterday (Friday), hopefully they will arrive early next week.
I shall post again when i have tried them out (hopefully they will be the correct size lol).
They seem to be top quality at a good price, I shall see.:wacko:

Freewheel said:
Hi
Mista Preston I decided to get the Shimano R220 from Evans as they looked a bargain. I order them yesterday (Friday), hopefully they will arrive early next week.
I shall post again when i have tried them out (hopefully they will be the correct size lol).
They seem to be top quality at a good price, I shall see.:wacko:

cheers Freewheel, lets us all know !

OP
OP
F

Freewheel

Sorry for late review post.
I have been working in Cornwall (Bude) last couple of weeks and only getting home at weekends. I ordered size 45 in the R220 then decided they may be too small, so ordered a second pair of 46 (I take size 10.5 shoes). Now at a point of sitting in the lounge with each pair on at different times (My wife is starting to give me strange looks :tongue:) lol. When at last I have made my mind up I shall post what they actually ride like.

Top Bottom