DI2 cable advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, I have my DI2 with the bar end junction box thing. I am looking to add the wireless module to this to sit inside the handlebars. Any idea what length cable to order?
Do I go for the complete opposite side of the handlebars or should I get a short lead and click it in just behind what I have already fitted

TigerT

Veteran
I would just go for a short lead and connect it in line with what you already have. I think I read somewhere that the closer it is to your bike computer, the better. However my junction box is in the down tube and the wireless unit sits behind it, in line with the rear derailleur, as there is a convenient small space, and it has always worked absolutely fine.

It's really easy to fit, but it really helps if you have the special tool for disconnecting and reconnecting the DI2 cables.

TerryDi2

It's up to you - you can install it anywhere - except inside the frame/handlebars according to Shimano - but closer to your bike computer is definitely better.
And yeah, it will generally work just fine inside the handlebar/frame. It's just that Shimano don't guarantee that it'll work if you do that. I've never had a problem with it on my bikes.

Mine is installed like this:
(no, you do not have to connect both ends)
setup_terry.png

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Thanks that’s what i was thinking
It's up to you - you can install it anywhere - except inside the frame/handlebars according to Shimano - but closer to your bike computer is definitely better.
And yeah, it will generally work just fine inside the handlebar/frame. It's just that Shimano don't guarantee that it'll work if you do that. I've never had a problem with it on my bikes.

Mine is installed like this:
(no, you do not have to connect both ends)
View attachment 596762
Thanks that’s what I was thinking. Would 100mm or 150mm cable be more than adequate?

TerryDi2

100 doesn't exist, so 150mm ;-)
You can tuck excess wire in the handlebar though. You might as well measure the distance using a piece of string. Measure from the side of the shift lever (if connecting to that), through the hole to the final position. If in doubt, select a slightly longer wire (+50mm).

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I'd advise not installing inside the bars. They will block the signal as the device will be enclosed in metal or carbon. The usual location is on the rear chainstays "in-line" with the rear derailleur cables

TerryDi2

That is the usual location for the EW-WU101 or the older SM-EWW01.
The EW-WU111 is generally installed between the JC130 Y-splitter and the wire entering the down tube :smile:

Top Bottom