Di2 issue on last ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
The magnet trick is real :okay:

An unhappy freehub has more drag. This causes the rotating wheel to turn the cassette rather than allowing it to freewheel, pulling the chain around with it and dumping it on your chainstay. At the point where the chain becomes tight underneath the friction is overcome and it starts freewheeling again. I suspect you'll have no further problems once you've serviced it :okay:

Smashing explanation!

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Fair bit of gunge found. Pawls wouldn’t have made any kind of break for freedom as they were so covered in it had to pull them out.
Is it worth taking out the rubber seal inside the freehub inner enclosure to clean as well?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The 'before' pictures fit my definition of 'gunged up'... :laugh:

All looking good now after some TLC!

If you haven't already reassembled everything - is that (green) bearing ok? If it isn't really smooth, then now would be a good time to replace it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the 'cream coloured' plastic bushing in the freehub that causes the noise. All bearings are sealed cartridges, so I'd pop off the seals with an pin and re-lube them. Any rough ones, then replace.

Now you've cleaned it up, if the noise returns again, you need a new bushing. I've had the howl once on my retro MTB's cross ride wheels. I've got 4 sets of Mavic factory wheels in my house and only the one set did the howl of death - been silent since.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
The 'before' pictures fit my definition of 'gunged up'... :laugh:

All looking good now after some TLC!

If you haven't already reassembled everything - is that (green) bearing ok? If it isn't really smooth, then now would be a good time to replace it.

Ah it’s all reassembled now. I rang my friendly lbs to see if they had any of the small bottles of Shimano mineral oil to buy to dab on it and they didn’t but said bring it over and they’ll do it for me for nowt with theirs. He had a look and said everything looked great so 🤞.

Did take the opportunity to clean the cassette while it was all off though...

And the chain is off for a service. At this rate I may disassemble the whole bike lol.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd recommend cleaning the cassette and removing fairly regular depending upon conditions - on my MTB it's quite often. I drop the sprockets into a diluted solution of Screwfix No-nonsence degreaser - blooming great stuff for all sorts of use.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I’m going to use all this effort as another excuse not to go out when it’s raining.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Did it cure the original issue ?

I’ve no idea! Couldn’t recreate the issue in the bike stand after I’d washed it down following the ride. It’s still not doing it now.

Its changing gear super smooth so.

Will take out for a spin maybe tomorrow.

At the very least the bike is cleaner than it has been since I bought it. 😜

Top Bottom