Di2 Junction box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Thinking of changing to Ultegra Di2 after the summer and will most likely be do the install myself. One thing that bugs me about the di2 set up is the Junction box under the stem.
Iv seen many pictures on various social media posts where they have managed to hide the charging/JB somewhere else so it's not visible. The only place I can think of that this is possible is under the saddle.
I'm obviously going to have to get longer cables if this is the case.
Anyone installed this groupset themselves and manage to hide the JB?
Thanks

Andy_G

I've never seen it anywhere but under the stem, if you even if you manage to hide the box the cables will look awful running all over the place, also if you have a internal battery you will need to get the the box to charge it.
Oh and if you need to fine tune the shifting you need to push the button on the box so sticking it in the frame will be a pain.

adscrim

Veteran
I think some aero stem/handlebar units have recesses for the junction box. However, the only manufacturer I 'know' that does it it canyon and their stems don't fit standard steerers.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
This is what I was thinking. (See pic)

I'm sure there must be a way to hide the cables. Would make it look so much cleaner. Will have to check over the bike to see where to route the cables now :rolleyes:
Screenshot_2016-03-17-21-25-44-1.png

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think some aero stem/handlebar units have recesses for the junction box. However, the only manufacturer I 'know' that does it it canyon and their stems don't fit standard steerers.
That sounds about right. My 2015 Aeroad has the H11 bars, which are all-in-one bars/stem. The stem element has a recess that takes the junction box.

The pros are that it does keep things very tidy-looking. Cons are that it makes access to the charging port tricky and it does tend to rattle as the 'clip' arrangement that holds the box in isn't quite as fitted as you'd expect. Luckily, the rubber band for my garmin mount tensions it all up and prevents the rattle.

All probably pointless for the non-Canyon owner as the steerer diameter is an unusual 1-1/4"

huwsparky

Über Member

I'm sure there must be a way to hide the cables. W

I'm sure there must be a way to hide the cables. Would make it look so much cleaner. Will have to check over the bike to see where to route the cables now :rolleyes:
View attachment 121940
Personally, I wouldn't want it under the seat. If you don't like the look, just buy one of those stems that the JB can be integrated into. Job done, no bodging required!

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Personally, I wouldn't want it under the seat. If you don't like the look, just buy one of those stems that the JB can be integrated into. Job done, no bodging required!
No bodging would be done Huw. It would be done properly or not at all

If it can't be done then it can't be done !

But it can :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Under the seat for a jet wash from the back wheel... No hide under the stem.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I think 3T and one other make (cant remember the name) do the intergrated stems for this but need to look into the cost. The intergrated stem was my first initial thought but then got thinking where it might be better accessible.
Also heard of people mounting the JB down by the front mech just behind water bottle apparently so will check that out also.

huwsparky

Über Member
Anywhere but under the saddle for me, one of the most likely places on the frame for it to get damaged and it's less hidden than under the stem when you think about it. I have no idea on cable prices but it's not gonna be a cheap job moving it either I wouldn't have thought.

Top Bottom