Di2 on airline.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I am off to the pyrenees next month, a holiday i booked some time ago. In the mean time I converted my Giant defy to Di2, which has a battery capacity of 500mah. Reading the small print it appears airlines might not allow batteries of that size on their planes. Has anyone taken Di2 on a flight and is there a problem. I understand you can buy fireproof containers and was wondering if this might be the answer. A few years ago I took another bike with Di2 to Mallorca without a problem, but I was ignorant of the restrictions at the time.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Laptops and tablets have larger batteries than that but they're allowed to be carried. Maybe this applies to the luggage hold?

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
Thanks. I have calculated the wh of the Di2 battery (which is the standard the airlines use ) is 3.7, which is well below the permitted size, so I will remove the battery from the seat post and put it in a fireproof battery bag and carry on in hand luggage. As you say, it is no larger than a laptop battery and they say dont put electric items in hold luggage.

Top Bottom