Di2 recharging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Okay, I expect this to be a minority concern but; how often do Di2 owners actually plug the damn thing in?

I've had mine 900 miles/5 months (it was an ex-demo unit and took about 15 minutes to charge/top-up when I received it) and have resolutely refused to plug it in since, if only to confound my nay-saying ride mates. Of course, they're all insistent that at some point I'll be left in some huge gear ratio because I have a battery.

Of course, having Di2, you change gear at even the slightest hint of a gradient, just for the fun of it, but It's got to the point where even I'm wondering. The battery warning light isn't on, but assuming Li-Ion charge profile; It'll be on for about 9sec before it dies, which isn't handy.

Your experiences please. :smile:

Russell

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I seem to remember reading somewhere Shimano-ey that you can expect around 1000km between charges, but the local up-and-down usually means I go about 600km before I get a low battery warning on my Garmin (I've got the D-Fly ANT+ unit because I'm a ponce). It charges up in no time though.

U

User33236

I have a D-Fly too and charged by battery up ahead or riding from London to Paris (460km) last week. By the end of the ride the Di2 battery was still showing 90% on my Edge 1000!

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Cheers, for that. I had thought of the D-Fly simply because of the battery indication, but even for me it seems a bit much for that luxury.

Cheers,

Russell

I was told by a mechanic that on LEL (1400km) a cyclist with Di2 had a flat battery, but that it hadn't been charged recently :sad:

I've charged mine a couple of times since September. No though or planning. Just seemed like a good idea at the time. One was prior to an event, more by luck than judgement.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Li-Ion batteries don't much like being run right down as it shortens the battery's life. Topping it up every now and again when convenient would seem sensible.

I've both an external and an internal di2 bike. The internal needed a charge at 1000km (I do plenty of hilly rides so tend to change gear a lot) the externally equipped bike lasted nearly 1500km before needing a charge. Remember if you've D-Fly, a decent Garmin and Dura-Ace shifters you can use the hidden switches in the hood to switch screens, trigger timer etc etc.

Top Bottom