Di2 road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclintom

It’s my 40th bday this year thinking of treating my self to a di2 road bike what would you guys recommend been looking at ribble. I have. 2016 giant defy 0 at the mo

thanks for any help Dave
Truthfully? I have had 5 Di2 bikes and if it were me I would wait until next year and buy the new wireless Di2. It is going to be 12 speed which I abhor but fitting wires into or onto a bike is a real pain in the butt. I don't like the idea of trying to keep track of 4 batteries but avoiding the wiring is worth it. SRAM has gotten a huge and unworthy audience because fitting a wireless system is so easy.

cyclintom

While I'm sure Di2 is good personally I would stay away from it. I don't think you're missing out.

I know a number of people who've experienced the usual issue of a flat battery halfway through a ride. Friends who haven't set out because the battery was flat in the morning. Yes, probably 99% user error but not always.

I did consider it last autumn for my new bike. While I was deciding on the spec a friend began to experience charging problems. Basically she frequently found the battery flat or undercharged. This was traced and a faulty battery replaced under warranty. Our local LBS doesn't stock batteries - do any? - and she was off the road for ten days with no bike while waiting for the replacement. Unacceptable to me. That was it Di2 immediately off my list.

Same friend also reports there is no charging indicator. No little light to show charging is ongoing or complete. Bad design in my view.

On the other hand if I get a shifting problem I drop by my LBS on a ride. Pop in, explain the problem, 10-20 minutes later it will be fixed, coffee included. I know there are lots of happy users but if Di2 goes badly wrong it can put you off the road for days and days.
I cannot see a battery going flat on Di2. I take mine out for rides with continuous shifting and after a dozen rides when I get around to charging the battery it takes 10 minutes to charge. Now the new wireless stuff may be a bit more sensitive but probably not since this was an area that Shimano focused on.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I cannot see a battery going flat on Di2. I take mine out for rides with continuous shifting and after a dozen rides when I get around to charging the battery it takes 10 minutes to charge. Now the new wireless stuff may be a bit more sensitive but probably not since this was an area that Shimano focused on.
I've seen it with my own eyes more than once

Top Bottom