Di2 Wireless Connectivity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

Looking at the options for getting the most out of Ultegra Di2 8070

It seems that out of the box it works well but lacks some of the clever functionality that is possible. Such as displaying gears, synchro and battery level on your head unit and programming the hidden buttons on the hood tops.

Most places I have looked seem to say that you need a EWWU111wireless unit to do this but I have also come across the suggestion that the XT Di2 SC-MT800 display achieves the same thing but with the added display which will show the above mentioned information without having to cycle through screens on a head unit. Would I really cycle through screens to see what gear I'm in - unlikely but I suppose I would probably look at it if it was on a display in front of me all the time.

The display seems to be more common for mountain biking and I would be fitting it to a road bike. It also takes up space on the handlebars.

Any thoughts?

avsd

Guru
If you have a Garmin, 520 or better, the EWWU111wireless unit works well. Check you have a modern battery as, from memory, it provides the Bluetooth connectivity. E-tubes project software on a PC is also useful and easy to use. It can use the charging cable.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

The bike is on order so it will be a new battery. I'm thinking the display option might take up too much space and also look a bit noob.

TerryDi2

You do not need a wireless module or display in order to use synchronized shifting on road bikes.
(a display is required for synchro on MTBs though)

You can also program the 'hidden' buttons using a Windows PC, but obviously you can only set them up to shift. They won't interact with a head unit if you don't have a wireless module :smile:.

It is definitely possible to use the SC-MT800 (or SC-M9051) on a road bike - I have done this myself (testing it to help a user). Personally I prefer the EW-RS910 (bar end) junction though. Also.. there is a maximum of one Junction A. This means that you can install the display, but you'd have to take out the EW-RS910 / SM-EW90 (if you're "tweaking" an already built bike)

TerryDi2

Here is an image of my "display experiment" ;-)

Top Bottom