Diazepam 2mg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
Crippling back pain this morning, after a phone consultation with Dr he prescribed pain relief and optional dose of diazepam. Never used this medicine before anyone have any experience of using it?

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, but a long time ago so I don't really recall how I got on. I certainlydon't remember anything adverse, and I'm pretty sure I was only on it a few weeks while my busted elbow was affecting me sleeping and it worked well for that.

vickster

Legendary Member
aka Valium...It relaxes/relieves muscle spasm (among other things)...Don't attempt to drive or use machinery, can have a very sedative effect, as can opiates if you have those. Read the pack insert.
It's highly addictive.
I was given it to relax muscles while on spinal traction prior to my back surgery 30 years ago...made me super sleepy (not a bad thing at the time)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Echo above, I was on it whilst in hospital with a broken spine to stop muscle spasms - a spasm in my broken ribs would set off a bad one in my back. I can't remember much when on them as I was out of it for a good three weeks.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crippling back pain this morning, after a phone consultation with Dr he prescribed pain relief and optional dose of diazepam. Never used this medicine before anyone have any experience of using it?

Yep, it's brilliant.
I once had a week on Diazepam and Fluoxetine (Valium and Prozac)...was the best week of my life!
Seriously, it's good particularly for muscle spasms, but as @vickster states, you can get a liking for it....

vickster

Legendary Member

Get yourself booked in with a private physio too if it doesn't abate in a few days

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
Thanks for the advice, Dr did say would help with muscle spasms but reassuring to know will help with sleep issues and no side affects if used as prescribed.Will contact physio once condition eases off👃

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Many years ago I was prescribed it for muscular head / neck pain (something that I now manage by hanging off stuff)..

After the physical issues had subsided, what I had left got squirreled away for particularly anxiety-riddled mornings at a particularly unpleasant job.

In my experience it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllly niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice, Dr did say would help with muscle spasms but reassuring to know will help with sleep issues and no side affects if used as prescribed.Will contact physio once condition eases off👃

I wouldn't say it has no side effects (sedation is a side effect of such tranquilisers for example)

classic33

Leg End Member
On one similar to it, Clonazepam.
Think I've got used to any side effects by now, biggest thing to watch for is other medications being taken at the same time. They may affect the diazepam amount in your blood, either increasing it and decreasing it. And it can be fairly rapid.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't say it has no side effects (sedation is a side effect of such tranquilisers for example)

Primary indications are anxiety, muscle relaxant, not indicated specifically as a sleep medication (only if related to anxiety)
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/diazepam/how-and-when-to-take-diazepam/
Documented side effects
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/diazepam/side-effects-of-diazepam/
Potential interactions
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/diazepam/taking-diazepam-with-other-medicines-and-herbal-supplements/

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
On one similar to it, Clonazepam.
Think I've got used to any side effects by now, biggest thing to watch for is other medications being taken at the same time. They may affect the diazepam amount in your blood, either increasing it and decreasing it. And it can be fairly rapid.

Have an anti inflammatory, Naproxen, which I'm using and Cocodomol which I will avoid if possible as I don't like the side effects that has on me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have an anti inflammatory, Naproxen, which I'm using and Cocodomol which I will avoid if possible as I don't like the side effects that has on me.

I wouldn't mix codeine and Valium, use paracetamol max dose

Cautions with other medicines​

Some medicines affect the way diazepam works and increase the chances of you having side effects.

Before you start taking diazepam, tell your doctor if you're taking any of these medicines:

• antipsychotics, used to treat mental health problems
  • antidepressants, used to treat depression
  • anticonvulsants, used to treat seizures
  • hypnotics, used to treat anxiety or sleep problems
  • drowsy or sedating antihistamines, such as chlorphenamine or promethazine
  • strong painkillers, such as codeine, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, pethidine or tramadol
  • HIV medicines, such as ritonavir, atazanavir, efavirenz or saquinavir
  • antifungal medicines, such as fluconazole
  • proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) – medicines for reducing stomach acid, such as omeprazole or esomeprazole
  • muscle relaxants, such as baclofen or tizanidine
  • disulfiram, a medicine for alcohol addiction
  • isoniazid, a medicine for tuberculosis (TB)
  • rifampicin, a medicine for bacterial infections
  • theophylline, a medicine for asthma and other breathing problems

Top Bottom