did i not drink enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
:sun:just returned from a 22 mile ride out. i didn't push myself too hard (just wanted to enjoy some quiet roads and the sunshine). had a protein shake an hour before i left, plus had 500ml drinks bottle on the bike. imagine my surprise when i stopped at a pedestrian crossing about 10 miles into the ride and felt like i was going to pass out xx( i'd been drinking when i felt i needed it and didn't feel bad at all until that moment. i got off the bike and sat down on a bench in the shade for 10 minutes. drank more of my drink, managed to keep an energy gel down - i hate those things but they work - and felt normal again. got back on the bike and reversed my route - didn't feel at all bad on the way home and probably rode a little bit harder if anything. i'm not poorly so i'm wondering if i did something wrong or if it was just the heat hitting me all at once at the lights and my body struggled for a minute or two to sort itself out?

lulubel

Über Member
It's possible, if you were already dehydrated before you started. How long were you out for?

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
How hard were you riding? Bearing in mind you had 1/2 a litre of shake before hand, maybe this wasnt sitting right on your stomach or you were too full of liquid when adding the water on the go. I've just done the same kind of ride was you (but only 18 miles) at an ave speed of 18.2mph and I only drank about 200ml of water during the ride, maybe a small glass of water before I left.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
How hard were you riding? Bearing in mind you had 1/2 a litre of shake before hand, maybe this wasnt sitting right on your stomach or you were too full of liquid when adding the water on the go. I've just done the same kind of ride was you (but only 18 miles) at an ave speed of 18.2mph and I only drank about 200ml of water during the ride, maybe a small glass of water before I left.
your average is def' quicker than mine, i probably only averaged 15 (maybe) - that's why i was pretty sure something was up when i got all light headed at the lights...maybe i simply reacted badly to that rarely seen ball of gas in the sky?!

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
your average is def' quicker than mine, i probably only averaged 15 (maybe) - that's why i was pretty sure something was up when i got all light headed at the lights...maybe i simply reacted badly to that rarely seen ball of gas in the sky?!

15 is still going some in this weather. As you say, it might well be something as simple as not being used to the heat (well, humidity really). Where you wearing clothes that wick away sweat and allow the skin to cool? The only time I've gone all dizzy out and about was this time last year, and I think it was because I was wearing a cotton tee under my cycle jersey and I just raised my core temp too much.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
People are too paranoid about dehydration. Chances of actual dehydration (rather than being thirsty) after 45 mins is next to zero. Considering you had drank before going out and you were drinking while out, it is unlikely to be dehydration.

I recall* reading a book by a well respected running and triathlon coach and sport scientist who claimed that over approx 1 hour efforts, the effect of drinking and having water sloshing in your stomach is likely to be more detrimental to performance than slight dehydration.

* Was some time ago so the details may be ever so slightly out but the general jist remains intact.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
Yeh I'd say over exertion.
the only other time i've felt like that, was after i'd just finished 5 miles on the treadmill in the gym - i'd not properly gotten over a stinking cold and when i stopped, i literally had to sit down before i fell down. it took me about half an hour to recover properly that time. maybe i was giving it more welly on the bike than i realised, i didn't take the iphone with me so i don't have a record of the ride...maybe it was just a bad day on the bike. i may go out again this evening and do a quicker but shorter loop and see how i feel after that.

amaferanga

Veteran
When did you last have some proper food? Why did you have a protein shake before the ride? Why are you using protein shakes at all since it doesn't sound like you're doing strenuous training?

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
15 is still going some in this weather. As you say, it might well be something as simple as not being used to the heat (well, humidity really). Where you wearing clothes that wick away sweat and allow the skin to cool? The only time I've gone all dizzy out and about was this time last year, and I think it was because I was wearing a cotton tee under my cycle jersey and I just raised my core temp too much.
i was in my rabobank kit - i'm a bit of a sucker for team kit :shy:

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
When did you last have some proper food? Why did you have a protein shake before the ride? Why are you using protein shakes at all since it doesn't sound like you're doing strenuous training?
i had a bowl of cereal a couple of hours beforehand - sultana bran to be precise. why have a shake before the ride? because the plan was to be out for a 40-50 mile run and my muscles could do with the assistance.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
Considering you had drank before going out and you were drinking while out, it is unlikely to be dehydration.

I recall* reading a book by a well respected running and triathlon coach and sport scientist who claimed that over approx 1 hour efforts, the effect of drinking and having water sloshing in your stomach is likely to be more detrimental to performance than slight dehydration.

* Was some time ago so the details may be ever so slightly out but the general jist remains intact.

i wouldn't disagree with that rob - thinking about it now, i'd say it's more likely that i over prepped and a combo of that, the weather, my thinking i'm much fitter than i am all contributed to it :sad:

amaferanga

Veteran
i had a bowl of cereal a couple of hours beforehand - sultana bran to be precise. why have a shake before the ride? because the plan was to be out for a 40-50 mile run and my muscles could do with the assistance.

Protein shake after a particularly hard ride, not before. For the ride you need fuel - carbs.

Top Bottom