did i not drink enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:ohmy: surely not?! ^_^
Surely yes, you need carbs before a ride not protein. Sounds you had a minor bonk.

Protein is not a fuel source for exercise.

link for quoted text below

2.4 Not As A Fuel Source

Protein is not used directly as fuel for the body or for muscular activity. In muscular work, excretion of nitrogen as a result of protein usage increases only very slightly. Instead, it is the excretion of carbonic acid and absorption of oxygen that increase. These changes indicate that an expenditure of energy is derived mainly from non-nitrogenous foods (such as carbohydrates and fats) and not, from protein.
It is true that the body can use protein to generate fuel for physical activity, but it does so by breaking the protein down into a carbohydrate form. Protein is used as fuel only when there is either an excess of proteins or a lack of carbohydrates. When this occurs, the body splits off the nitrogenous matter from the protein molecule and uses the remaining carbon contents to produce fuel. This process not only involves a net loss of energy, but it also places an unnecessary strain on the liver, kidneys and other organs to eliminate the unusable nitrogenous wastes.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
i've just had a look at my tubs of supplement - i do use the term 'protein shake' as a catch-all and that has caused a slight misunderstanding in this thread. i apologise, unreservedly :blush: i use PhD - synergy - ISO7. it's an all in one, yes it has protein, it also has carbs as well as electrolytes and a bit of creatine and zinc and magnesium for good measure. i agree with marz, definitely a bit of a bonk - all the advice, thoughts and opinions is as always, very much appreciated.

i've just had a look at my tubs of supplement - i do use the term 'protein shake' as a catch-all and that has caused a slight misunderstanding in this thread. i apologise, unreservedly :blush: i use PhD - synergy - ISO7. it's an all in one, yes it has protein, it also has carbs as well as electrolytes and a bit of creatine and zinc and magnesium for good measure. i agree with marz, definitely a bit of a bonk - all the advice, thoughts and opinions is as always, very much appreciated.

Depending on how you mix your shake that's 30-50g of protein before a ride, that's a lot. Just found this little bit of info too...

link to full text

Pre work out protein can equal gastrointestinal distress
In general, a low-fiber, low-fat combination is recommended as a pre-workout fuel source because it is digested more quickly and thus reduces the risk of gastrointestinal distress. A small amount of protein with carbohydrate in combination may help blood glucose levels to be at normal concentration during the work out. Protein digestion is much slower than carbohydrate. Protein consumed alone prior to a work out may be incompletely digested causing a concentration gradient for water to be rapidly absorbed into the intestinal track. While exercising this increases the risk of gastrointestinal distress. For this reason avoid a large protein meal several hours pre-exercise.

amaferanga

Veteran
My advice would be to drink squash and eat regular food instead of wasting your money on that stuff. It is perhaps justifiable for an Elite cyclist in a race who doesn't have many opportunities to eat real food, but for your everyday cyclist it's just a massive waste of money. It won't make you faster, compared to squash and real food, and it won't help you ride longer, compared to squash and real food. Of course the manufacturers claim otherwise, but they would when all they want is to make as much money as possible.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
cheers marz, that's a good read. interesting stuff. i pretty much over mix the PhD. more liquid to powder than it suggests. i'll vary it and experiment and hopefully hit the right balance :cheers:

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
It won't make you faster, compared to squash and real food, and it won't help you ride longer, compared to squash and real food. Of course the manufacturers claim otherwise, but they would when all they want is to make as much money as possible.

you gotta love big business :thumbsup: i've got another tub upstairs (it was a twofer). i'll use it up and then invest massively in robinsons :whistle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
the words 'rinse and repeat' doubled shampoo sales overnight... ;)

That effect has probably been countered by sales lost to those that think shower gel is appropriate for washing your hair :tongue:

Top Bottom