Did I see a naked cyclist today ?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by mr_cellophane, 13 Aug 2012.

1. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Guru

Driving along Nags Head Lane in Brentwood at lunch time and I saw what looked like a naked cyclist on a road bike heading south. A little way behind him was 3 or 4 more and just behind them another 4 or 5. The two groups had flesh coloured cycle suits on, but I am 99% sure the first rider was stark bollock naked.
    Anyone know what I witnessed - I assume a charity ride of some sort.

2. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Gnu

Possibly this lot ? http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2012/03/08/ride-nearly-naked/

3. OP
    OP
    mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Guru

That looks like it. Thanks, should make finding out who they were a bit easier.

4. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

These guys were on the ITV cycle show just the other week but they didn't mention riding actually stark bollock birthday suit styleee?

5. cloggsy

cloggsy Boardmanist

Awesome! Where can I get the skin-suit?

boybiker likes this.
  6. sabian92

sabian92 Über Member

Not to be the miserable one of the group but isn't riding naked in public illegal?

7. biking_fox

biking_fox Veteran

not per se in england at least. Being naked is not an offense. Causing offense is however, so it only becomes illegal if someone complains. Scotland I think gets a bit more annoyed about it. cf the naked rambler.
    AFAIK anyway.

8. Maz

Maz Legendary Member

I don't think he was naked per se...but as a rambler, he just talked bollocks.

Maylian and Uncle Mort like this.
  9. lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck Well-Known Member

So those xray specs you orded really work!

Mad Doug Biker and Maz like this.
  10. Norm

Norm Guest

I passed them just after 8am in Windsor today. Definitely not naked but they did look it.

11. compo

compo Veteran

12. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

How much money and resources have they wasted putting him in prison umpteen times?? Just let the effing guy finish it and stop being so utterly pathetic about it! :rolleyes:

13. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I think they are here:

14. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Wasn't there a muppet who got caught speeding by a "Community Speed Watch"

He decided to go back naked and get his own back on the elderly ladies with teh camera.

IIRC he was prosecuted because of his intention to cause offence

15. dharma66

dharma66 Regular

That's right. It's intention to cause offence that matters. Even if you do cause offence, but didn't intend to, you haven't broken any laws.

Public nudity is perfectly within the laws of the UK.

However, once someone expresses offence, if you insist on remaining naked, you can now be deemed to be intending to cause offence. So if asked to cover up you should, at least until the offended party is out of sight.

Other charges are often used, such as breach of the peace. This is usually used by police officers who just feel its wrong, and what to get you for something.

Don't forget World Naked Bike Ride. Organised each year, it's usually sanctioned by the police. It's happened in Manchester for about the last 5 years, usually in June, and without incident each time. I believe its also happened in London for about the same number of years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice