Did I see a naked cyclist today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Driving along Nags Head Lane in Brentwood at lunch time and I saw what looked like a naked cyclist on a road bike heading south. A little way behind him was 3 or 4 more and just behind them another 4 or 5. The two groups had flesh coloured cycle suits on, but I am 99% sure the first rider was stark bollock naked.
Anyone know what I witnessed - I assume a charity ride of some sort.

biking_fox

Guru
but isn't riding naked in public illegal?
not per se in england at least. Being naked is not an offense. Causing offense is however, so it only becomes illegal if someone complains. Scotland I think gets a bit more annoyed about it. cf the naked rambler.
AFAIK anyway.

lordloveaduck

So those xray specs you orded really work!

not per se in england at least. Being naked is not an offense. Causing offense is however, so it only becomes illegal if someone complains. Scotland I think gets a bit more annoyed about it. cf the naked rambler.
AFAIK anyway.

Wasn't there a muppet who got caught speeding by a "Community Speed Watch"

He decided to go back naked and get his own back on the elderly ladies with teh camera.

IIRC he was prosecuted because of his intention to cause offence

dharma66

Regular
That's right. It's intention to cause offence that matters. Even if you do cause offence, but didn't intend to, you haven't broken any laws.

Public nudity is perfectly within the laws of the UK.

However, once someone expresses offence, if you insist on remaining naked, you can now be deemed to be intending to cause offence. So if asked to cover up you should, at least until the offended party is out of sight.

Other charges are often used, such as breach of the peace. This is usually used by police officers who just feel its wrong, and what to get you for something.

Don't forget World Naked Bike Ride. Organised each year, it's usually sanctioned by the police. It's happened in Manchester for about the last 5 years, usually in June, and without incident each time. I believe its also happened in London for about the same number of years.

Top Bottom