Did something naughty this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If anybody knows Edinburgh, its full of roadworks for the trams at the moment. At one point I was heading along the road which is two lanes at this point, it does narrow a bit further down to 1 lane at traffic lights. Got overtaken by a big black 4x4 (freelander I think, free thats a joke), despite it being 2 lanes and no other traffic on the road (strange for the CC) he decided to overtake as close as possible, just missing my bars by inches and accelerated as fast as he could IMO to block the ASL. At the lights however I deliberately rolled in front of him :rolleyes: and proceded to go round the short corner in the primary :biggrin: before returning to the the secondary when it again widened to 2 lanes. Instead of just overtaking which the road layout allows easily he decided to slow down beeb his horn, berate, point to the line of park cars/ pavement (was I supposed to be on the pavement or in the park cars :smile:). When he did overtake I latched on to his rear and drafted him a bit (1/4 mile) till the next set of lights where he was left sitting in a queue.

domtyler

Über Member
I am terrible for doing this kind of stuff!

Of course it is much better for your blood pressure to just slow down and let them disappear.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of drafting never did anyone any harm - shows them who is boss.... especially when you are sat behind them at 30 plus....

Only to be done when the road is clear and there is space between car and you !

Maz

Guru
i know what you mean about the 'deliberate primary' - i've done it myself...i nearly got hit by a car at a RAB...car came to a screeching halt. He took the same exit as me, it was a wide-ish rd but i stayed in primary and rode slow for a looooong time...car didnt dare beep - he stayed there until the rd widened up.
---
5 more weeks in plaster - then i'm back on the bike! :rolleyes:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'm just surprised there was no gesture intimating that he is a regular 'starter-of-discussions-with-many-people-having-opposing-views-on-a-subject'*

*Mass debater

Kirst

Where was this?

As if the tram works weren't bad enough, TRANSCO are taking this opportunity to relay gas mains on every bit of road they can find at the moment. I'm fed up of it.

gavintc

Guru
Well Shandwick Place is a nightmare at present. I think this is only the beginning as they are not laying track merely repositioning the services. Phase 1 of a long process. Once completed, I am a little nervous how bike wheels will cope with the track. I can predict a few bike accidents.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Kirst said:
Where was this?

As if the tram works weren't bad enough, TRANSCO are taking this opportunity to relay gas mains on every bit of road they can find at the moment. I'm fed up of it.

W Maitland Street, Manor Place, Melville St. Yeah the Gas works aren't helping.
I lived in Dublin when the LUAS trams were built, it never really affected me however as I never had to cross their tracks often. On a slightly positive note they gave out free Hi-Vis "Cycle Safe with LUAS".

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get upset about Gas mains replacement - they have a duty to do it....but all the more fun when you are on the bike - two lanes at a local junction are only one from today...ohh the fun tomorrow when I roll past all the jammed cars.....

gavintc said:
Well Shandwick Place is a nightmare at present. I think this is only the beginning as they are not laying track merely repositioning the services. Phase 1 of a long process. Once completed, I am a little nervous how bike wheels will cope with the track. I can predict a few bike accidents.

Just be careful. I got my front wheel caught in the Midlands Metro tracks near Wolverhampton a few years back, catapulting myyself over the bars into a pedestrian fence, breaking my helmet in two and permanently scarring my shoulder. All my own fault, and easily foreseeable, but it still happened. And I'm a pretty experienced urban cyclist.

Tetedelacourse

Two wrongs don't make a right, as old Grannie Tete used to say.

Mind you she also used to say don't let fannies in freelanders away with squeezing you off the road.

LLB

He was out of order, but you should have let him go. The freelander is held in low regard by 4x4 enthusiasts and are too light to tow with safely - style over substance. Also have very weak gearboxes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It doesn't really sound like you did anything wrong. Maybe it wasn't the most polite or sensible thing to do, but not illegal. I reckon I might have done the same myself.

I might have added a comment to the driver that he needed a faster car, because it's not very good being beaten by a bicycle.

Top Bottom