Did this really happen or is DM making it up?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Location
Leicestershire
I just spotted this while doing a search for a bit of erm sort of box of things to mend something with kit;).
I know we should make sure our children don't do anything that can harm them or put others at risk. But surely this is going too far:ohmy:.
The DM are a reactionary right wing rag but I doubt they could have reported this wrong. Anyone know the truth of the matter or even know the lad in question?
 

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Definitely has the ring of truth about it. There's a lot of this sort of nonsense around at the moment - adults being refused alcohol on account of they might be thinking of passing it on to their underage son/daughter who happens to be with them and the like. All of it caused by hysterical flatulence generated by the likes of, well let me see now, what's the same of that shabby paper for ignorant sanctimonious twats...?
 

Davidc

Guru
Location
Somerset UK
They were wrong - as explained in the article, but I can understand why the assistant acted as they did.

It's the fault of stupid legislation, not the store.
 

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No, it's the fault of a culture of hysterical paranoia which gives license to small-minded little Hitlers and prevents the simple application of common sense, all of it whipped up by the likes of (thanks Uncle Mort) the NME.
 
Like most here, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that particular story - BUT:

Has anyone worked as a till assistant at a supermarket or convenience store? Is anyone aware of the pressure and threats levelled at these hapless employees, should they happen to inadvertantly let through an under-age purchaser of some prohibited article such as alcohol? Is anyone aware of the culture of fear which they have to endure? And of the 'entrapment' operations carried out by undercover police posing as under-age customers etc. etc.?

My son, who knows all about this, never got it wrong, but he lived in fear of doing so, especially when he had a job at an off-licence.

We're not talking here just about instant sacking. We're talking about prosecution and a criminal record. And I remind you, we're talking about the checkout assistant, not the would-be shopper.

So before we howl "PC gawn maaad!" or some-such, perhaps we ought to campaign for the law - and the lawyers - to see some commonsense. Commonsense as regards 'who is responsible'.
 
I can believe it.
As a late 30's male, I was a bit miffed in the Co-op when I tried to buy a newspaper with a DVD movie stuck on the front. For some reason I had to wait while a supervisor was summoned to the till in order to 'authorise' my purchase.

World's gone mad I tell thee!
 

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Location
Bugbrooke UK
Sounds plausible to me. Last time I bought white spirit in B&Q the 'system' required a staff member to attend the self service till and authorise the transaction. It's not volatile enough to sniff and you'd certainly not want to drink it!. Is it just the word 'spirit' that raises a flag or is there a flammable fluids/fire raising angle?

But seriously, the law only comes into play if the seller has reason to believe the solvent may be abused. Surely one needs a decent quantity of glue for a sniffing trip; the vulcanising solution in a puncture kit must be the solvent snorters equivalent of a liquer chocolate!!
 

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Park patches = no glue
 

Davidc

Guru
Location
Somerset UK
What amazes me is that those of us who were around and under 21/18/16/whatever before the bans on buying knives, glue, white spirit, and so on, are still alive to tell the tale.
 

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Location
...on the slake
Sniffing glue always looked disgusting to me, never tried myself. We were much more sophisticated - bottle of codine linctus from which ever chemist you could blag it from. Swig the lot, jolly afternoon!
 

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the day's of paraffin heaters myself and my 2 brothers (all pre/early-teens) had to take it in turns to go to the Hardware store and pick up a couple of gallons. Surprised we didn't try to burn anything down with the stuff. Though I did set one of my brother's bed alight once, but that is another story. Mum wasn't best pleased.
 
Top Bottom