Did you ever have your bike stolen if so what happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a couple stolen, and caught one in the attempt.

The first theft was entirely my own fault. As a teen, rushing for a bus, unthinkingly locked it to a wooden fence.
Returned to find the fence broken and bike gone. Idiot.

For the unsuccessful attempt, the bike was properly locked up to a metal fence at the Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow, came out of an establishment to see a couple of people kicking the lock, the fence and the frame. Chased them before realising that if they turned on me I was screwed. Luckily the bike was intact.

The last is the most painful. I'd just dropped a stupid amount of money on it, and was fulfilling a lifetime dream of touring Europe.
Since most places I'd visited were extremely sleepy towns I clearly got complacent.

I left it unlocked outside a shop in Italy while I went in for 2 minutes to get water, in plain view right in front of a pair of charity workers.

When I came back out, no bike. The charity workers saw nothing. Someone just walked up casually and lifted my bike.
Everything I owned in the entire world was on it except my phone and wallet (the phone got smashed when I dropped it two days later while trying to sort out an emergency passport.)

I subsequently found that the town in question had a large bike theft ring. The carabinieri were completely useless, took my report, never gave me a crime number, and sent me to a consulate that had been shut down years prior.

Still not even remotely over it.

oldkit

Regular
I had one disappear from out of my car about 1994, replaced by house insurance,
One went from inside the house,about 3 grand new at that time, roughly 1998.
Called the Feds they turned up couldn't have cared less. again, house insurance to the rescue although didn't get full replacement value. Both very distinctive, never to be seen again. The second one was fitted with Hope discs on a non disc frame with a custom made torque arm on the rear, made by myself. I went to Hope factory and watched them make my hubs as they didn't have any in stock at that point.
Really annoyed even to this day.:angry:

Brandane

Legendary Member
My yellow Puch Alpine, from a close in Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, late summer 1977.
That bike cost me £45 in 1976 and I worked the whole school holidays that summer to pay off the loan from my parents to buy it. It was my pride and joy (at age 14), and normally was very fussy about locking it. I slipped up once, and it was gone.
Months later, it was spotted by an eagle eyed friend in a second hand shop a few miles away, and seized by Police. I got it back, but it had been trashed and was never the same again. I sold it and bought a Raleigh Scorpio, and a bigger lock!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Again. Why is this question being asked?
So i can get an idea of how effective a good lock is at preventing bike theft by learning the possible reasons that people experienced bike theft. I am mostly interested in whether people with a gold standard lock experienced theft so I can whether they actually deter thieves or not really.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
is this another ''im an engineering student from The Uni' of Life and Im preparing a project''.................thread ?
The OP is asking half a million questions...

MntnMan62

Über Member
I once had my 1970s era Raleigh Record 10 speed bike stolen and I know I could have done more to prevent it. I was about 15 at the time and I was working at a diner restaurant. I was running a little late and so I locked my bike up to one of those tall poles that prevents the garbage truck from backing into the fence surrounding the dumpsters. It was pretty tall but obviously not tall enough. When I went back out after work it was gone. Someone likely just came by with a pick up, had someone below lift the bike up to him so he could slide over the top of the pole. That one hurt. It was a nice bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So i can get an idea of how effective a good lock is at preventing bike theft by learning the possible reasons that people experienced bike theft. I am mostly interested in whether people with a gold standard lock experienced theft so I can whether they actually deter thieves or not really.
since the development of battery powered angle grinders no lock is safe. :cursing:

Johnno260

Veteran
Raleigh Activator 2, I locked it up with a heavy duty piece of chain from my step Dads building site and padlock to a metal railing outside the leisure center, while inside the receptionist watches a white van pull up and cut it off with bolt cutters, she thought they had lost the key..

it was found abandoned 4 months later totally wrecked, it had taken me forever to save up for it sometimes doing 4-5 paper rounds a morning to cover other people.

Top Bottom