Did you ever have your bike stolen if so what happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The main reason I think is the lack of solution to the problem: there is no punishment when you catch the thief and no deterrent to make them think again. I have always been in favour of: cut one finger off for each theft. This would be a good deterrent and a thief would only have ten chances. It may sound harsh but society has gone far too soft nowadays and needs to toughen up a bit and care more about victims than law breakers.

classic33

Leg End Member
The main reason I think is the lack of solution to the problem: there is no punishment when you catch the thief and no deterrent to make them think again. I have always been in favour of: cut one finger off for each theft. This would be a good deterrent and a thief would only have ten chances. It may sound harsh but society has gone far too soft nowadays and needs to toughen up a bit and care more about victims than law breakers.
Angle grinder or bolt cutters?

Binka

Über Member
I used to work on a university campus, the covered bike rack was off the street and very visible by the side of one of the entrances to one of the main buildings. A van pulled up in the middle of the day, 2 guys jumped out with angle grinders and within minutes had loaded 5-6 decent bikes in the van and were gone.

vickster

Legendary Member
NHS hand surgeons are already rather overstretched without having to amputate criminal's fingers :ph34r:

lane

Veteran
Yet he did nothing to protect the perimeter of his property, and once they're over the threshold they can work quietly and unobserved. That's a failure of planning by an amateur, not an illustration of "if they really want it theyll take it."

What do you suggest would be appropriate @Drago ? Secure gate, garage door additional security, bars at garage window, anchor point into concrete floor, sold secure gold chain, garage alarm? Anything else?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Total conjecture that was why he was wearing it, for all you know he cycled there.
It's not my thread but, assuming it is accurate and three bikes were taken, it would take a Dominic Cummings-like stretch of credulity to believe anyone was so unlucky as to lose the keys for three locks.

DSK

Very common - only way you will get through a serious lock and make mince meat out of something less.

These were the tools of choice of motorcycle thieves and no doubt the regular thieves will just use these now as they are small, portable and they will use them to lash out at anyone who comes near them.

Johnno260

Veteran
Yet he did nothing to protect the perimeter of his property, and once they're over the threshold they can work quietly and unobserved. That's a failure of planning by an amateur, not an illustration of "if they really want it theyll take it."

Well he lives in a terraced house with no access to the rear garden unless through the house.

He has a low wall and a front gate, the bike anchor was into his property as well, he did what he could with what he had.

Still highlights you can do an awful lot and still be stolen from.

I see they recommend the Restrap belt holster for D-locks. I actually have one but stopped using it when it was pointed out to me that falling on a mini-D strapped to the base of my spine would solve my bike security problem permanently, by paralysing me from the waist down.
Yes a daft idea. Still see folk round london with locks in their pants though. Have the impression they think it looks cool, or maybe they get a buzz out of a certain imagined bdsm aesthetic.
Seem to remember that my aversion to hard bits of metal/locks draped on my body came from sage advice in a motorcycle book read when I used to ride vespas. (Dangerous enough themselves)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A friend of a friend had his garage broken into to steel his very well chained up bike and they cut the frame to nick it. Seemingly they were just after the (high quality) components more than the complete bike.

Top Bottom