Didcot towers demolition this Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When I was a kid my granddad told me that cooling towers were 'potato boilers'. Of course I believed him. Who wouldn't believe their granddad? For years I imagined them full of spuds and a steady flow of tipper trucks being filled with boiled and mashed potato to be delivered to cafes and canteens throughout the region... I was rather underwhelmed when I learned what they were really for.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Went up the hill today to take a photo of the Kingpin with the towers in the background.

Didcot 2.JPG

Didcot 3.JPG

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I heard the bang, felt the rumble, then the power went out for about 40 minutes in didcot.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Liebherr blew up an old crane in their yard in Sunderland.

It was supposed to be a controlled demolition, but the blast knocked out several windows in the main stand of the Stadium of Light on the opposite bank of the Wear.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It was a blot on the landscape. You could see them for miles around. I suppose that thin, tall chimney is still there, because that's for Didcot B, the gas powered station. Didcot B is still going, right?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It was a blot on the landscape. You could see them for miles around. I suppose that thin, tall chimney is still there, because that's for Didcot B, the gas powered station. Didcot B is still going, right?
B is still going, but the big chimney is coming down in the autumn apparently.

Top Bottom