Didn't manage the 50m

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah yes, the glass is always half full!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can do 42m the 50m target will come easily, then it's onwards to 60m, then 100km, then 100m, then........................................................ The final target is always beyond the next hill. ^_^

.. as I warned you it is possible to mutate into an Audaxer!

Johnym

Great effort

OP
OP
D

Dunlopdave

Did you enjoy it?

Problem solved!

As above, don't get hung up with figures (You could mutate into an Audaxer!) so long as you enjoy the ride and the day itself that is what matters.

Many of those who "can" do long distances will tell you that at some point the emphasis changes from the enjoyment of ridingto simply mahing miles to complete the task.

I do the Isle of Wight Randonnee every year (100km) as a "test of my fitness" yet when I tour or go out for a day then 40 miles is the limit as I want to stop, look at churches, interesting buildings, landscapes, a leisurely pub lunch or cafe stop and al the other things that make the day enjoyable
Thanks it was a great ride really enjoyed it .Whats the Isle of Wight like for cycling as me and a friend are planning a few days cycling and camping in the summer???

Thanks it was a great ride really enjoyed it .Whats the Isle of Wight like for cycling as me and a friend are planning a few days cycling and camping in the summer???

Absolutely superb!

The drivers are much more considerate than on the mainland and the Island is a 'Micro UK" with all sorts of interests and diversions.

The Round the Island route is the classic Randonee for a full day, but easily lends itself to a leisurely two day tour, and you also have the opportunity to divert inland and visit some of the other sites, and there are good off road routes as well.

CycleWight
CycleIsland

Edited - I should say it can get busy in the High Season

brokenflipflop

Veteran
DD. Dude. You fell at the last hurdle. You missed an open goal. You only had to get it in the court...and you hit the net.

Only kidding :thumbsup:

But seriously.....8 miles short of the big five 0h....the big Hawaii...the big one...half a century....the golden wedding.....Fitty Cent....PC plus 1.....Tweak of the thumb minus 1....the atomic number of tin......50.

So close. So damn close

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Like everyone else has said - well done mate.

I think that we all naturally get a bit figure-focussed but as everyone else has already said - consider what you did achieve.

Go tell a non-cyclist that you cycled 42 miles and they'll find it hard to believe - it really is a blooming long way.

And, you've had a great training ride for your forthcoming 50.

I do know how you feel though (and, I'm really not making this up). A month or so ago, I set out to do a 50 and, on that occasion, guess how far I got? Yep......42 miles.......that's uncanny (especially as 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything). The very next week, I added 10 to that for a good half century.

You'll get it next week, or the week after - but who really cares as long as you're have a good time and enjoying your cycling.

Keep it up mate.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Well done for your 42 miles as everyone else has said it is a bloody good feat to do that many miles as long as you enjoyed the ride that's all that matters, I would rather come home happy from a shorter ride that get back from a long crap ride :0) keep up the good work.....

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Dunlopdave; I used to cycle the North Downs, The Weald, & the South Downs regularly, there are some big hills.
Don't be put off for not reaching your target mileage, it does come, & it will be easier next time, simply because you've done it before.
Enjoy being on your bike, that's what it's all about.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Re the Isle of Wight, you might like to go over the May Bank holiday, it's full of cyclists at that time. There is a 'Round The Island' ride starting from various points along the route, mileage about 50, but riding with like minded people makes it easier.

Top Bottom